Last blast of summer, what are your favorite recipes to celebrate?

Judy's pear and pecan cake, subbing rum

I have made a few other alterations:
Pear & Pecan Cake

2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 Teaspoons Freshly Grated Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar -- firmly packed
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil, I often use hazelnut oil
3 Eggs
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Water (sub dark rum)
2 Teaspoon Vanilla
5 Bartlett Pears, Ripe, Firm, Unpeeled -- cored & 1/2" cubed, or more depending on size
1/2 Cup Toasted Pecans- --chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F .

Butter and flour 9x13-inch baking pan. Sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer beat brown sugar, oil, eggs, sugar, water and vanilla in large bowl until very smooth. Blend in dry ingredients.

Stir in pears and nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake until top is brown and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool completely.

I bake it in a bundt pan for 57 minutes, much better.

I keep it wrapped tightly in the frig for 1 or 2 weeks minimum before eating (sometimes I can’t wait).

It freezes very well, cut into thirds or so.

-------------

but just broke my hip (whine) so won't be making anything this year. I can stand, supported, for 5 minutes.

Judy's pear and pecan cake, subbing rum

I have made a few other alterations:
Pear & Pecan Cake

2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 Teaspoons Freshly Grated Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar -- firmly packed
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil, I often use hazelnut oil
3 Eggs
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Water (sub dark rum)
2 Teaspoon Vanilla
5 Bartlett Pears, Ripe, Firm, Unpeeled -- cored & 1/2" cubed, or more depending on size
1/2 Cup Toasted Pecans- --chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F .

Butter and flour 9x13-inch baking pan. Sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer beat brown sugar, oil, eggs, sugar, water and vanilla in large bowl until very smooth. Blend in dry ingredients.

Stir in pears and nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake until top is brown and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool completely.

I bake it in a bundt pan for 57 minutes, much better.

I keep it wrapped tightly in the frig for 1 or 2 weeks minimum before eating (sometimes I can’t wait).

It freezes very well, cut into thirds or so.

-------------

but just broke my hip (whine) so won't be making anything this year. I can stand, supported, for 5 minutes.
Ouch! Was surgery needed to repair the fracture? I hope you have a speedy, uncomplicated and complete recovery!

Oh yes. It was a complete break and 3 pins. But I am too old for this; now I think my ribs are breaking up and the pain is getting worse. I had a dinner planned for the next day, all the shopping done, some in the frig some on the counter, and my intended guests had to come over to pick up stuff to take to the hospital and to put away the intended food. How embarrassing.

This is a good recipe and was to be a good dinner. I don't know how I treated the 1/2 lb. of butter before but I absolutely know I would not have used that much.

Cod with Coconut, Lime, and Lemongrass Curry Sauce Epicurious | 2005
4 servings by Eric Ripert

The Sauce:
1 tablespoon butter 2 shallots, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced 1 lemongrass stalk, thinly sliced
1-inch knob ginger, thinly sliced 3 kaffir lime leaves
1 tablespoon Madras curry 3 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup fresh coconut milk, or canned 4 cilantro sprigs
Fine sea salt to taste Freshly ground white pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

The Cod:
2 tablespoons canola oil 4 7-ounce cod fillets, 1 1/2-inches thick
Fine sea salt to taste Freshly ground white pepper to taste

The Garnish:
1/2 pound butter seriously??!! Fine sea salt
9 heads baby bok choy, divided in half 1/4 cup kosher salt

Special equipment:
2 10-inch nonstick ovenproof skillets

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

To make the broth, melt the butter in a small sauté pan or wok over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, kaffir lime leaves and curry and sweat until tender and with no color, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat simmer for 15 minutes. Add the coconut milk and cilantro, and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain through a fine chinois and set aside.

Divide the 2 tablespoons of canola oil between the skillets. Place over high heat until oil is just smoking. Season the cod on both sides with salt and pepper. Put 2 pieces of cod in each skillet and sauté until golden brown and crusted on the bottom, about 2 1/2 minutes. Turn and sear on the other side for 30 seconds. Put the pans in the oven and roast until a metal skewer can be easily inserted into the fish and, when left in the fish for 5 seconds, feels hot when touched to your lip, about 6 to 7 minutes.

In a large pot, heat 4 quarts of water, the butter, and the kosher salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the bok choy and cook until crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on a sheet pan in the refrigerator to cool quickly so they retain their bright green color.

To serve, reheat the sauce and finish with the lime juice. In each of 4 bowls, place a piece of cod. Place 3 to 4 pieces of bok choy around the cod. Pour the sauce over the cod and serve immediately.

Back