Lazy Woman Sushi

sandi-in-hawaii

Lazy Woman Sushi

This is more of a technique than a recipe - layer all the sushi ingredients into a serving dish, and let diners roll their own. Feel free to change the layers to suit your tastes. See the variations by Dawn_MO and Glennis_NoCA at the end.

Layer 1

Freshly cooked short grain rice (I used 3 "rice cooker" cups of raw rice, I think this makes about 4 1/2 cups of cooked rice)

Sushi Vinegar - stir together and nuke for a minute to melt the sugar:

1/4 cup rice vinegar

3 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon salt

Pour the sushi vinegar over the hot rice, and stir until the liquid evaporates a little, and rice becomes shiny and sticky. (You may not need all of the vinegar mixture, so don’t pour it all at once over the rice.)

Layer 2

Nori goma furikake (optional)

Sprinkle over rice in serving dish

Layer 3

10 oz crab (Dungeness if you have it, imitation crab, shredded, if you don’t)

1/2 cup mayonaise

2 teaspoons honey

2 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds

1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

Mix all ingredients except crab, until well mixed; fold in crab.

Layer 4

1 small, ripe avocado, very thinly sliced

Layer 5 (optional)

Tobiko (flying fish eggs - tiny, orange, and crunchy)

Nori for Rolling:

6 pkgs seasoned Korean nori (usually sold in packs of three, with each sheet measuring about 2" x 3"?) for individual bite sized sushi

Or Roasted Sushi Nori, cut into 4”x8” rectangles, for temaki (rolled cone shaped sushi)

Diners take a sheet of nori, and place a small spoonful of the sushi mixture in the middle, and roll it up. Dip in soy sauce, if desired.

Variation by Dawn_MO at 5:17 am on Jan 13, 2008:

I changed it a little bit. I put the avocado layer on top of the rice, and the crab mixture on top of the avocado. I mixed the krabmeat with the mayonaise, divided this mixture in half and added a tablespoon or two to half of this mixture to make it spicy. I left out the honey and the sesame oil. I layered everything in a pie plate, making one half the spicy side and the other half the mild side. I sprinkled it with sliced green onions and the sesame seeds. I intended on sprinkling some chopped seedless cucumber on top, but my cuke had seen better days when I examined it. Served this with nori sheets for people to roll their own. We loved this! I also made some spicy tuna rolls, and I think next time I will do the same presentation with the tuna also.

Another variaion by Dawn_MO at 4:01 am on Dec 28, 2008

I used sashimi grade tuna, mixed it with sirachi and mayo. I layered the rice first, then a sliced ripe avocado layer, the tuna mixture, a sprinkling of tobiko and then thinly sliced green onions.

Variation by Glennis_NoCA at 7:37 pm on Dec 29, 2008

SCORE!! We had a 50-50 plate...half spicy ahi and half crab...

I made a layer of the rice, mixed wasabi with mayo and sesame oil and spread that over the rice (smelled heavenly), thin slices of avocado went down next, followed by spicy tuna (mayo, siracha, toasted sesame oil) for one side, and mixed Dungeness crab with mayo, sesame oil and green onions on the other side. The tuna side was garnished with diced cucumber and the crab side with more thinly sliced green onion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back