Leave it to Julia to solve making the perfect poached egg.

mariadnoca

“Her simple tip for rounded firm whites rather than wispy edges is surprisingly simple: to boil the egg in its shell for 10 seconds before cracking it open into your poaching pot. This allows the egg whites to firm up so that even if your eggs aren’t Grade AA or farm fresh, you can still achieve the firm, neat whites characteristic of a poached egg.

“Her simple tip for rounded firm whites rather than wispy edges is surprisingly simple: to boil the egg in its shell for 10 seconds before cracking it open into your poaching pot. This allows the egg whites to firm up so that even if your eggs aren’t Grade AA or farm fresh, you can still achieve the firm, neat whites characteristic of a poached egg.

It works! Much simpler than whatever CI tells you to do.

Didn’t work for me. And my eggs were laid within days (I’ve got connections now). The yolks were very high and mounted, but the whites still spread, even after the 10-second shell bath.

I did have craving for spinach after that video and luckily had a package of spinach in cream sauce in freezer. Heated that, then lowered raw egg in the middle, put a lid on and cooked. Very tasty.

Back