Looking for Michael's Carnitas recipe

barbara-in-va

I did a search and found where Michael posted the link to the recipe but I can not get to it, I get 404 not found. Does anyone have this recipe and be willing to post it please?

Update: Okay, N/M, I found it in my recipe book!!! It was post 48075.1 from Epicurious I think!! Perhaps from 2003?? LOL!!! Michael, have you changed it at all over the years?

Last edited:
I had it in my MasterCook.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Carnitas

Recipe By :Michael in Phoenix/Epi Swap
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :6:00
Categories : Mexican Pork & Ham
Tried & True

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 4 To 5 Lb. Pork Shoulder Or Butt -- trimmed of fat/rind
1 Large Onion -- peeled and quartered
1 Tablespoon Whole Coriander Seed
1 1/2 Teaspoons Cumin Seed
2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
2 Bay Leaves
Water

Place all the ingredients into a 6 to 8 quart stock pot. Pour in enough water to just cover meat.
Heat to a boil, reduce to a slow simmer, cover and allow to cook until meat easily shreds with 2 forks. This takes somewhere between 3 and 5 hours. Add more boiling water, as necessary, to keep meat covered.
Heat oven to 450°F.
Remove meat from the stock pot and place in a large 13 x 9" roasting pan. (Reserve broth for albondigas). Gently pull meat apart, discarding excess fat, bone and any connective tissue. Meat should be in small to medium-size chunks, spread out in the pan.
Bake, uncovered, in the 450°F oven until the meat is browned and sizzling hot, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, place meat on a warmed platter and serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 8 Calories; trace Fat (14.6% calories from fat); trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Use for Mexican dishes calling for cooked meat.

NOTES : The key to getting the flavor just right is not to be too heavy handed with the spices. By using the whole seeds when simmering the pork, you are able to impart a flavor that does not overpower the meat.
Also, as a minor point, Mexican oregano is best in this dish, not the Mediterranean variety.
The meat makes an excellent entree by itself, but is also absolutely fantastic as filling for burritos, tacos, tortas or a topping for tostados. Excellent with fresh salsas, sour cream and shredded cheese, etc.

I have copied/replaced the dead 404 Epicurious links with Michael's actual recipe. If a recipe was posted before 2006 and then just linked, I probably can't find it (damn you, Epicurious) but let me know and I'll try to track down Finer_Kitchen's dead links.

maria, the carnita recipe is in the T&T PORK section

Last edited:
It dates back to 2005 here. Is there something special about getting back to Epi??
marg, Paul & Mimi set up Finer_Kitchens around 2005 or 2006 and Paul captured all our entries since then. If you run into a 404 error it is because he had to do multiple software fixes to keep the site secure since the code was so dated and that link may not have worked. But I can usually find the data somewhere.

However, prior to those years, the posts were kept by Epicurious and they dumped everything when they stopped supporting the website. (rat bastards).

The Epicurious links we have been able to find are within the WayBack machine, but it is not comprehensive. Also, it only lists the thread title, so clicking on that does not open the thread to recipes below. Some folks here are very clever and found ways to drill down into those posts...I'm not one of them.

Last edited:
I have copied/replaced the dead 404 Epicurious links with Michael's actual recipe. If a recipe was posted before 2006 and then just linked, I probably can't find it (damn you, Epicurious) but let me know and I'll try to track down Finer_Kitchen's dead links.
Thank you Marilyn!!

marg, Paul & Mimi set up Finer_Kitchens around 2005 or 2006 and Paul captured all our entries since then. If you run into a 404 error it is because he had to do multiple software fixes to keep the site secure since the code was so dated and that link may not have worked. But I can usually find the data somewhere.

However, prior to those years, the posts were kept by Epicurious and they dumped everything when they stopped supporting the website. (rat bastards).

The Epicurious links we have been able to find are within the WayBack machine, but it is not comprehensive. Also, it only lists the thread title, so clicking on that does not open the thread to recipes below. Some folks here are very clever and found ways to drill down into those posts...I'm not one of them.
Usually if you hit a 404 dead link, you can copy that dead link into the way back machine and find what you are looking for. It will first show a calendar with some highlighted dates, those are dates the way back machine originally scanned the link you want, click on the highlighted date and follow it to view the 404 dead link in it’s original format. (Most of the time.)

Back