Marilyn's 2021 GBH: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

marilynfl

I have a slideshow of this, but the damn thing is too large to email and I have no clue how to compress it. So I'm going to post photos in two sets. The first set will be the Little Golden Book page inspirations and their GBH counterpart. The second set will be random house images. Click on the first image to open it up and then use the < and > arrows to toggle through them

You'll have to hum along on your own.

I did hum along. Christmas would not be the same without you GBHs. I think the doors are particularly spectacular.

!!

Marilyn, You have outdone yourself this year......what a Superb job.....what a treat....have b been waiting for your post and it is a wonderful part of the day to see your Gingerbread House......

oh honey, the doors and windows are purchased for...I have no clue what a person would do with a door like that but you can buy it. The windows were actually Christmas ornaments I bought years ago at Walmart and have used ever since. I'm lazy like that.

Ohmygoodness! Marilyn - this is absolutely spectacular. You ooze talent!!! (that was meant as a compliment!). The ideas, the details, the creativity!!

love the theme. a part of my childhood like many others and frankly a part of my adulthood... Still get a kick out of the Rankin-Bass Christmas movies. Marilyn's GBH are now a part of my annual Christmas traditions. 🤶

Well, now it’s officially Christmas! Just spectacular! It wouldn’t be Christmas without your great gingerbread houses.

Just spectacular! It wouldn’t be Christmas without your great gingerbread houses.👏👏👏

Xoxo

Marilyn!!!! You are a wonder. So much talent and fun, and well, just wonder. How long did it take you to create this masterpiece? Thank you.

earnie, it comes in phases. I get a "main idea" and then look for some new way of expressing a GBH. I was taking a shower and thought "Rudolph!" and then wrote his name on the shower door. It separated into droplets, but still spelled out the name, which is how I came up with the billboard/marquee made with 100 red lights. Then I found ornaments for the original TV movie which set the size constraints. I usually deliver the house to the library the week after Thanksgiving, but this house was giving me angina/angst/anxiety...and that's only the A's. I wanted Rudolph's feet (paws? hoofs?) to be off the ground, which took some engineering and a lot of hot glue. All in all, I'd say it took 5 days once I had all the components.

Here is a shot of the wooden dowel traversing the house to support a "flying Rudolph" (including early test placement for other components) and homemade cotton candy, thanks to 35,000 RPM dremel.

Back