RECIPE: May I Join In On The Fun? T&T REC: Holiday Ham

RECIPE:

maycee

This is the best ham I've ever made and tasted. I know it's a little late in posting since the holidays have passed . . . but definitely give this a try.

HOLIDAY GLAZED HAM

DENISE CASTILLO

(CUSTOMER RELATIONS)

Ham:

1 13-20 lb. precooked ham with bone

20-30 whole cloves

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Remove skin and excess fat from the ham. Insert cloves every 11/2 inches all over meat. Place in a large baking pan.

Baking Sauce:

1 cup light brown sugar

1 cup white vermouth or

3 Tbsp. brandy plus 1/2 cup stock

1 cup crushed canned pineapple

with juice

1 tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. ground allspice

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

1 Tbsp. ground dry mustard

juice of a whole medium orange

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor at high speed to produce a puree. Pour evenly over the ham and bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until a light brown glaze is produced. Reduce heat to 275 degrees and bake 10 minutes for each pound, occasionally basting with sauce from the pan. Remove when done and place on a serving platter.

Decorative glaze:

1 cup light brown sugar

1/3 cup red currant jelly

1/4 cup orange liqueur or brandy

3 slices pineapple rings

3 whole canned crabapples

Place first three ingredients in a saucepan and boil for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce is very thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool 5 to 10 minutes or just before the sauce hardens. If it hardens too quickly while you are glazing the ham, reheat to the desired consistency for easy spreading. Place pineapple rings and crabapples in the center of the top of the ham. Using a pastry brush, quickly cover the fruit and the entire surface of the meat. Let set for at least half-an-hour before serving, and carve at the table. To serve the baking liquid as a sauce, cook it at high heat to a thick consistency and then add 2 tablespoons of orange liqueur.

http://www.spiritofaloha.com/recipe/1102/recipe.html

Back