Mexican Potato Casserole

pat-nocal

Mexican Potato Casserole

1 tsp olive oil

1/2 lb. lean ground beef

2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped (or any color peppers)

2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced

8 scallions, sliced (including green stalks)

2 fresh tomatoes, chopped

1 tbsp each chili powder and ground cumin

1/2 tsp each salt and fresh black pepper

2 quite large baking potatoes, scrubbed, thinly sliced (2mm disc works well)

3/4 cup nonfat cheddar cheese, shredded (I use low-fat cheddar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil, add the beef, bell peppers, garlic and scallions, cook, stirring as needed, until the beef is browned and the vegetables are softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, cook about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Arrange a thin layer of sliced potatoes on bottom of dish, then a thin layer of beef mixture, and repeat. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes, uncover and sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Bake about 10 minutes more until the potatoes are cooked through and the cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings, 6 WW points per serving. Adapted from Weight Watchers Simply the Best

Pat’s notes: At first it looked to me like the 9x13 dish was too big for the layers, but it worked out great, the layers are kinda thin and sparse but I liked how the dish turned out when I served it. I think some optional additions would be: 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced, and 2 to 4 tbsp sliced black olives, added with the tomatoes. Good accompaniments: tossed green salad with sliced avocado and ranch dressing, and french rolls.

Back