Microwave Potato Chips

dawn_mo

Source: Uncle Bill

4 medium potatoes (russet, yellow gold, or red potatoes)
your choice spices or herbs (granulated garlic powder, seasoning salt, cayenne pepper, dried dill weed)
olive oil, for microwave tray, plate

If potatoes are old, peel and slice thin, 1/16" in thickness, slicing across the potato.
If the potatoes are new or good skins, DO NOT PEEL, just scrub well, then slice them 1/16" in thickness, slicing across the potato.
Sprinkle with your choice of spices or herbs or just leave them plain.
If you have a microwave bacon tray, place the sliced potatoes flat on the tray in a single layer.
Cover with a microwaveable, round heavy plastic cover.
Microwave on HIGH (full power) for 7 to 8 minutes.
Cooking time could vary slightly, depending on the wattage of your microwave.
You do not have to turn the sliced potatoes over.
If you do not have a bacon tray, use a microwave safe casserole dish.

Rub the inside of the dish with some olive oil for the first batch of potato chips. I do not know why, but I find that if you do not rub oil the first time, some chips will tend to stick to the dish. After the first batch is done, you do not have to rub the dish again. Continue to microwave the remainder of sliced potatoes as noted above.

NOTE: You can also use PARCHMENT PAPER to place your potato slices. Place your potato slices, then sprinkle them with whatever you like and then place another piece of parchment paper on top. This will help microwave the potatoes more evenly and they should turn out nice and crisp.

ADDITIONAL IDEAS, suggested by Deb K:.
Granulated garlic powder with parsley.
Cracked black pepper, grated parmesan and sea salt sprinkled after removing from microwave.
Another, after removing chips from microwave, sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese, zap for a few seconds to melt the cheese, then add a dab of sour cream.

Deb note: After the first batch, I decided to cut off the ends and use the more uniform sized, and place around the rim of the plate. I used parchment paper instead of oil, as one reviewer suggested. These are wonderful, crispy and flavorful, and no fat. I urge you to try these. I sprinkled mine with Lawry's Garlic Salt, but there are no end to the toppings you could use with these. Mine took about 8 minutes per batch. Time consuming, but you don't have to watch them, so you can do other things at the same time. Make sure they are not "bendy" when you remove them, they will not have the right crispness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back