Milk substitutions. I have the menu challenge of a lifetime for tomorrow. Despite my limited

Marg CDN

range of approved foods, I eat whatever, in small doses. However, the person I`m having for dinner tomorrow just doesn`t eat what is not on her list.

I seem to have this going okay except for dessert. She can eat rice milk or soy beverage, or perhaps almond milk. I have never used or bought or tried any of these items but am wondering if I could use one as a sub for the cream in this recipe.

I am doing a fish course and have some Meyer lemons that I thought would work well in this recipe.

Anyone have an idea (question mark, since my keyboard is acting up)

Cool Lemon Soufflé

To make this lemon soufflé over the rim of the dish, use a 1-quart soufflé dish and make a foil collar for it before beginning the recipe. For those less concerned about appearance, this dessert can be served from any 1 1/2-quart serving bowl. For best texture, serve the soufflé after 1 1/2 hours of chilling. It may be chilled up to 6 hours; though the texture will stiffen slightly because of the gelatin, it will taste just as good.

½ cup lemon juice from 2 or 3 lemons

2 ½ teaspoons grated lemon zest (grate before juicing)

1 package gelatin (1/4-ounce), unflavoured

1 cup whole milk

3/4 cup granulated sugar

5 large egg whites at room temperature

2 large egg yolks at room temperature

1/4 teaspoon cornstarch

3/4 cup heavy cream

pinch cream of tartar

fresh mint leaves , raspberries, confectioners' sugar, or finely chopped pistachios for garnish (optional)

1. Place lemon juice in small nonreactive bowl; sprinkle gelatin over. Set aside.

2. Heat milk and 1/2 cup of the sugar in medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until steaming and sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together yolks, 2 tablespoons sugar, and cornstarch in medium bowl until pale yellow and thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisking constantly, gradually add hot milk to yolks. Return milk and egg mixture to saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until foam has dissipated to a thin layer and mixture thickens to consistency of heavy cream and registers 185 degrees on instant-read thermometer, about 4 minutes. Strain into medium bowl; stir in lemon juice mixture and zest. Set bowl of custard in large bowl of ice water; stir occasionally to cool.

3. While custard mixture is chilling, in bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment (or in large mixing bowl if using hand mixer), beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium-high; gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and continue to beat until glossy and whites hold soft peaks when beater is lifted, about 2 minutes longer. Do not overbeat. Remove bowl containing custard mixture from ice water bath; gently whisk in about 1/3 of egg whites, then fold in remaining whites with large rubber spatula until almost no white streaks remain.

4. In same mixer bowl (washing not necessary), with mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form when beater is lifted, 2 to 3 minutes. Fold cream into custard and egg-white mixture until no white streaks remain. Pour into prepared soufflé dish or bowl. Chill until set but not stiff, about 1 1/2 hours (can be refrigerated up to 6 hours, see note); remove foil collar, if using, and serve, garnishing if desired.

Thank you for your comments.

looks like we both have meyer lemons on our menus today! I would think any of those milks would

work---but I haven't tried a recipe with lemons with any of them. not sure if it would curdle---any worse than with real milk. sorry, not much help here. good luck!

Why not use coconut milk?

It would taste good in this recipe I think- it doesn't whip like cream (nothing really does) but you could wing it with a nice, thick coconut cream.

I thought the same thing as Melissa, unless I missed something...

is this person ill or have allergies? Out here in my neck of the woods it is customary when someone has a lot of food issues, they bring their own food, and the hostess usually has one food item they can have, but that is also appealing to the greater majority. I've attended appreciation dinners, and noticed one or two people bringing their own foods, because of issues.
If someone presented me with their food list, I'd had it back to them and say, "get cooking" with a smile and a wink!

Well, I insisted that I would deal with her list. I looked at it as a challenge. I'm using coco

milk in the main course, with fish, and thought that lemons would be a good finish. So you've all got me concerned about this milk sub. I figured it would be okay since there is gelatin involved and the density of the 'cream' would not be too critical.

BTW, I asked for her list, knowing that she had problems, she did offer to make dinner, being embarrassed by her restrictions and it is a health issue for her.

Thank you for your comments. Maybe I'll just flip over to a raspberry souffle without milk. Darn, I wanted to try a souffle with Meyers.

Marg, this souffle uses almond milk: Blueberry Almond Souffle

Generous of you to take on thsi culinary challengue. I truly enjoy doing that when it's appreciated.

Look for almond milk in stores near the boxed milk products. It will be either sweetened (90 calories) or unsweetened (40 calories). Blue Diamond Almond Breeze is the brand I use.

For this recipe, I'd use the sweetened, although to be perfectly honest, 1 TBL isn't that much of a deal. I think it may have been added simply to ramp of the "almondness" of the recipe when combined with almond paste and sliced almonds on top. Water and a 1/8 tsp of almond extract would probably do the same and you wouldn't end up with a carton of almond milk left over.

Although if you do....make steel cut oats with it! Amazing.

Photo & instructions are at the link

Fresh Blueberry & Almond Soufflé

serves about 6

2 cups fresh blueberries

1 1/2 tbsp almond paste, chopped

5 large eggs, cold and separated

1/2 tsp cream of tartar

1/8 tsp salt

2 tsp pure orange extract

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 tbsp almond milk

sliced raw or toasted almonds

powdered sugar

4 tbsp white sugar, plus extra for coating the dish

unsalted softened butter

http://yumology.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/fresh-blueberry-almond-souffle/

I usually ask people I don't know, when I'm extending the invite--any allergies, preferences, etc.

Seems only hospitable. smileys/smile.gif But I'm also lazy, so I think my solution would be to offer both the souffle and fresh fruit, nuts, some non-milk cookie (that I didn't have to make).

Thank you all for your help. I've never used milk subs & ended up not getting any. wish I had as I

would have adding rice milk to my frozen roasted red pepper soup base. Better than broth. I normally add 35% cream and it's outstanding. This was just liquid vegetables in my opinion.

I said I was looking at it all as a challenge but would not say that again. It wasn't fun. I'm probably spoiled. My own list of inedibles is so enormous that about the only thing left for me to enjoy is peaches. But, I live to eat and so I just tend to be sensible. I still want to have fun. So I am not supposed to eat nuts, proteins (fish, meats, eggs), calcium, seeds including seedy fruits, orange juice, beans, peas, leafy greens, pretty well all vegetables...really the only thing left is peaches. Doctors do realize that people have to eat some of these foods but it's a bit difficult because I have 2 limiting conditions at once.

But my guest totally eliminates, as in absolutely does not eat wheat, dairy, sugar, nightshades, meats, poultry............if I considered my own list, there would have been no dinner. Everything that she survives on is on my prohibited list. And no wine!!! Yikes, that really puts pressure on me. I did a favourite curried fish recipe that she did love; she left a very clean plate.

However, this did force me to take a stab at making a raspberry souffle. I've never thought of trying to make a souffle ahead and storing it in the fridge until baking time. It worked well. I used frozen seedless raspberry puree that I made up in the summer but now need to perfect the recipe.

I bought some almond paste to make Marilyn's blueberry suggestion but I'll use another fruit because of the seeds.

I love to make souffles and have good success with them. But now without someone to entertain dinner guests while I'm in the kitchen, I wanted to find a route to preprepare these. For me, this was a case of necessity being the mother and all that. I'm glad I took this part of the adventure.

Marg, you are a trouper for taking on this challenge. I would say that, after narrowing down

the ingredients, if you must make a souffle without someone to entertain in the dining room, it's time to get the guests into the kitchen to watch it rise. People love to be in on things.

Your guest must be very special to inspire such creativity.

I am making this souffle this weekend so I looked it up here to see if someone had posted it here and made comments on the stiffness of the finished product. To my surprise, I was the one who posted it. sssssssoooooooo long ago

I look back on all the comments about this person who would eat almost nothing and I cannot figure out who it was. I do know that that must have been the last meal I made for that person cuz I sure don't remember being confronted with that list since.

Anyway, I am taking this to a friend's dinner, to follow a paella. Has anyone made it? I am concerned about it being stiff like a jelly rather than fluffy like a souffle, as I have to make it well in advance.

I haven’t made this, so can’t speak to that. When I run across food issues, I do take it as a challenge as well, but as a menu challenge. I don’t want to alter recipes so much as serve something fabulous, but within their food guidelines that everyone will like. Just off the top of my head, here I might serve a lemon granita w fresh berries. No Eggs or dairy.

Back