Mini Potato Kugels

Marg CDN

So here is the muffin-size potato recipe. I am so impressed with phones that will take a shot and then ask if I want the text copied from the photo. (I remember 40 years ago when there was so much growling when we lost a doc that we had worked on for hours)

I haven't tried these yet but they look promising. I do enjoy being creative with potatoes. And I am also so pleased with the parchment muffin cups. The muffins actually jump out of their jackets so I think these potatoes will as well.

Mini Potato Kugels

You can bake this kugel mixture in a buttered baking dish, but using a muffin tin makes this Passover classic the crunchiest. They are like crispy potato latkes, without all of the work of frying, and great for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

1 to 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (for greasing the muffin tins)
2 lb baking potatoes (about 4), peeled and grated
1 medium onion, peeled and grated
3 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp olive oil + extra for drizzling
½ tsp salt, or to taste
Black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin tins with vegetable oil. Alternatively, you can use cooking spray or parchment liners.

Use a food processor fitted with a grating disc (or the large holes on a standard grater) to grate potatoes and onion. Place in a sieve and drain for 30 minutes, squeezing to press out excess moisture.

Combine the potatoes and onions in a large bowl and stir in eggs, 1 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Fill muffin tins with potato mixture. Bake 45 to 60 minutes or until tops are brown and crisp. Loosen from pan while still warm. Serve immediately or refrigerate (or freeze) and reheat on a baking sheet in a hot oven (to retain crispy exterior).

Makes 1 dozen.

I think you could also use the refrigerated shredded potatoes. I use them when I make latkes (a friend shared her coveted recipe) and they make for the crispiest latkes!

Back