Morocco cuisine

SOUKINAR

Moroccan cuisine is known for its bold flavors, rich spices, and a blend of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and African influences. The food is hearty, flavorful, and deeply connected to the country's culture and traditions.

Key Ingredients​

• Spices: Moroccan food is famous for its use of spices like cumin, coriander, saffron, cinnamon, and turmeric. Ras el hanout is a popular spice blend used in many dishes.
  • Couscous: This tiny, fluffy grain made from semolina is a staple in Morocco. It’s often served with vegetables, meat, or stews.
  • Olive oil: Morocco produces excellent olive oil, which is used in many dishes.
  • Preserved lemons: These are salty, tangy lemons that are pickled for months and add a unique flavor to many Moroccan dishes, especially tagines.

Popular Dishes​

1. Tagine: Named after the clay pot it’s cooked in, tagine is a slow-cooked stew made with meat (like lamb, chicken, or beef), vegetables, and spices. The dish is typically flavored with dried fruits like apricots or raisins and topped with nuts.
  2. Couscous: Often served as a main dish, couscous is paired with lamb, chicken, or vegetables. It’s sometimes served with a broth made from chickpeas and vegetables and flavored with spices.
  3. Harira: A hearty soup made from lentils, tomatoes, chickpeas, and sometimes meat. It’s often eaten during Ramadan to break the fast.
  4. Pastilla (Bastilla): This is a sweet and savory pie, typically made with pigeon or chicken, layered with thin, flaky pastry and filled with a mix of spiced meat, almonds, and cinnamon.
  5. Mechoui: Slow-roasted lamb that’s tender and often served at large gatherings or celebrations.
  6. Zaalouk: A popular salad made from eggplant, tomatoes, garlic, and spices, usually served as a side dish with bread.
  7. Mint Tea: Also known as "Moroccan whisky," mint tea is a sweet and refreshing drink served throughout the day. It’s made with green tea, fresh mint leaves, and a lot of sugar.

Dining Etiquette​

In Moroccan culture, meals are often shared. Bread is a central part of the meal and is used to scoop up food instead of utensils. Moroccans traditionally eat with their hands, using only the right hand, as it is considered polite. Meals are a social affair, often enjoyed with family or guests, and it’s customary to offer more food as a gesture of hospitality.

Overall, moroccan cuisine is a celebration of spices, slow-cooked meals, and warm hospitality. The blend of sweet and savory flavors, along with the rich cultural history behind each dish, makes it unique and beloved around the world.

We had a trip booked to Morocco many years ago. Husband had a heart attack and we never got there. We travelled to eat. I do still try to cook a bit of it and have a b'stilla, bastilla, pastilla (I see it so many ways) in my mind that I have not made for a long time. It is such a treat!! I get stumped with the vegetable dishes sometimes, as I find them not as appealing. But that won't stop me. Every time my nephew goes to a souk, I get him to have some cumin and ginger ground for me. I am astounded at how different they are from one vendor to the next.

Back