RECIPE: My favorite muffin REC: Fresh Ginger Muffins

RECIPE:

sandi-in-hawaii

I love these muffins! The fresh ginger makes it very different. I used 1 tablespoon vinegar plus enough French Vanilla creamer to make 1 cup to replace the buttermilk (lactose intolerant), and I sprinkled coarse turbinado sugar over the batter before baking.

I baked them on convection mode at 360º for 18 minutes, and they were nicely browned and domed. (I actually doubled the recipe, and it made 34 muffins.)

Fresh Ginger Muffins

A 2-oz piece peeled gingerroot (about 2 1/2")

1/4 cup sugar

2 Tbsp. lemon zest (from 2 lemons)

3 Tbsp. sugar

8 Tbsp. (1 stick) butter, room temperature

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 tsp. baking soda

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease the muffin tins (I lined them with cupcake papers).

Mince the ginger into very fine dice. (You don't want to use your microplane on the ginger, it'll be too soft.) You should have 1/4 cup. It is better to have too much ginger than too little.

Put the ginger and 1/4 cup of sugar in a small skillet or pan and cook over medium heat until the sugar has melted and the mixture is hot. Don't walk away from the pan -- this cooking takes only a couple of minutes. Remove from the stove and let the ginger mixture cool.

Stir together the lemon zest and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Add the lemon sugar to the ginger mixture. Stir and set aside.

Sift the flour, salt and baking soda together; set aside.

Cream the butter and the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in an electric mixer, and beating until smooth.

Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add the flour mixture with the buttermilk, mixing until smooth. Fold in the ginger-lemon mixture.

Spoon the batter into the muffin tins so that each cup is three-quarters full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown of the top of the muffins, and a toothpick comes out clean.

Serve warm.

Yes, Sandi, I made something very similar, and we couldn't stop picking one up every time we...

walked by them!

Thanks for reminding me - I'll make them again soon.

Back