My Life in Food

amanda_pennsylvania

I was part of the original Gail's Recipe Swap--back in 1993 or 1994. It was such a fabulous community until things fell apart. Kudos to Mimi for creating such a warm, caring place for us here.

My family is very food-oriented. My mother is a fabulous cook and can make a gourmet dinner out of a wilted lettuce leaf, some old cheese, and dry breadcrusts. She was making tabouleh and couscous back in the 1970s before ethnic cooking became hip, so she's a tough act to follow. I always helped in the kitchen, and we've made some wonderful meals together.

I grew up in the Foreign Service and lived in Nigeria and Belgium, so I experienced different cuisines from a young age. Belgium was fabulous. (Moules, anyone?) They say that Belgian cuisine has the quality of the French with the quantity of the Germans; after four years there, we all had the waistlines to prove it.

As a teenager, I mostly focused on baking. I've never met a chocolate cake I didn't like, and the dessert category of my recipe box is shamefully overflowing. Now, I enjoy cooking and trying different recipes. I have a reputation as a good cook; probably because most of my recipes come from this board or Epicurious.

My favorite cuisines are French and New Mexican food. My favorite kitchen implements are my Dutch oven and cast iron skillet (although my microplane runs a close second).

In life, I'm a freelance writer, editor, and researcher. I'm also a published poet; in fact, the first poem I published came out of workshop exercise where the teacher asked us to write about our mother as a piece of fruit. I love bringing food to life through the written word.

See you at the Swap!

Back