Need diabetic dessert advice: should I bring dessert or not?

marilynfl

My kind neighbors have invited me for Christmas dinner. The wife is young-ish and diabetic. I asked what I could bring (suggesting dessert or appetizers) and they're going to get back with me closer to the date. It will be 3 couples, 2 kids and myself. I'm kind-of hoping no one needs GF.

If they request a dessert, I'd like to bring a really good one that everyone can enjoy. I've given them quick breads and other items over the years, but not sure if she could eat them. If they ask for desserts, I have NO clue what restrictions I should follow.Last year I made candy boxes for all the neighbors but also made her GF cookies with splenda blend and sugar-free chips. They were...okay.

I've been testing monkfruit for my coffee and so far so good. However, I don't want to randomly waste ingredients for a dessert if that won't work. I'd like to do a test run before the holiday gets here.

My library (usually a font of options) has closed off ordering books from other NC libraries until they renegotiate shipping costs.

In other words: HELP!

Yes, but I’m hoping for personal info here. I’ve got a diabetic cookbook but all the recipes could taste terrible. I'd like verified options.

What about a rustic pear tart, that does not need any sugar? Or use a bit of stevia.

Some choosing depends on whether she is an overweight diabetic. You could load up on whipped cream. I used to use lots of vanilla as a kind of substitute for sugar in whipped cream; it tastes luxurious without being sweet. Then I learned to put vanilla in all sorts of things that could survive well without sugar if there were another flavour of interest....eg. pancakes.

Ah yes. You could do very light warm crepes filled with fruit then topped with vanillaed whipped cream or sugar-free ice cream. Sugar-free orange marmalade in crepes with whipped cream.

Also depends on how brittle she is.

??

There is a sub for brown sugar, in the style of stevia, that you could sprinkle on pears in a tart before baking.

What about sugar free pudding pie (pie crust, perhaps a layer of cut up bananas and then the SF pudding). I really that this is not the most elegant of desserts but it is delicious and kid friendly. I'm always amazed how much people like pudding!

I used to make sugar free pannacotta (lemon or orange flavored) substituting Truvia for the sugar (too many many years ago to remember which recipe) will try to find it if you're interested. Can serve fresh fruit on the side for topping. Strawberries and blueberries are pretty low on the glycemic scale.

I too was thinking sugar free pudding*, which I haven’t tasted, but would be quick to try ahead. Then make parfait. I’d use strawberries, and might even try frozen since they are frozen peak season, because they are low on the glycemic index. You Jaques Pepin is always making some fabulous dessert out of fruit and next to nothing on his TV shows. One recently he did baked apples where he cored them and stuffed them with I think only butter. I might look for some of his recipes.

I’d keep it fruit forward and maybe roast or use balsamic. Chiffonade of something on top. Garnish with a cookie, for others.

*Not that long ago I made banana pudding from scratch, but I was also serving a gluten-free person so I made a second batch of just the pudding out of Jell-O pudding. When I tasted it I thought why did I even bother making the from scratch version?

In something like this, the sugar is not critical or you could use a substitute. or consider that 3T. sugar for everyone to share is nothing.

Apple Rose Tarts

see web: https://www.tastemade.com/videos/apple-cream-cheese-rose-tarts

1-2 sheets puff pastry

1/4 cup cream cheese

3 tbsp sugar

cinnamon

1 apple

1 tbsp lemon juice

3 tbsp water

Take out the core and thinly slice the apple.Combine the apple slices with lemon juice and water in a bowl and microwave 3 minutes. Cool the bowl in some ice water. Pat dry the apple slices of excess moisture and set aside.Roll out the puff pastry and cut into 4 even strips.Spread cream cheese and sprinkle on sugar onto the puff pastry strips.Arrange the apple slices and sprinkle cinnamon on top.Fold the pastry puff in half lengthwise and roll them up. Place in greased muffin tins.Bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees F.

-----------

I haven't made this. I do think about it. But they did look pretty and rather festive.

My thinking is that if you use fruit, it is a natural and allowable sugar, that you can dress up, without the necessity of additional sweetness..............all looking elegant.

Thanks everyone. These are marvelous ideas...I'm leaning toward a fruit-based one now.

Not sure the two little girls will enjoy that, but hey, they'll have a bunch of new presents and all us adults will have is booze and my dessert to get happy.

Back