need good radish recipes

G

The Recipe Table (tag line: Let's talk food!) debuts at the Farmer's Market on April 4th. I need some ideas for cooking with radishes. I have tried one so far, a simple saute in butter, good but not good enough. I'll google for more ideas but if you have know of something yummy I'd appreciate your input.

Rec: Daikon Radish with White Miso Sauce

Radish Daikon Radish with White Miso Sauce

(Furofuki Daikon)

Other root vegetables, such as turnips, rutabagas, or parsnips, may be used for this dish, based on this recipe from Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art by Shizuo Tsuji (Kodansha International, 1980).

2" square piece konbu (dried sea kelp)
Pinch salt
9" piece daikon, peeled, trimmed, and
cut crosswise into eight 1"-thick rounds
2/3 cup white miso
3 tbsp. sake
2 tbsp. mirin (sweet rice wine)
1 tbsp. sugar
1 egg yolk
3 tbsp. dashi
1" piece ginger, peeled and grated

1. Cut out a circle of parchment paper just large enough to fit inside a wide medium pot, then cut a 1/2" vent hole in center and set paper aside. Put sea kelp, 8 cups water, and salt into the wide medium pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add daikon and return to a simmer. Lay parchment paper circle on surface of liquid in pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and gently simmer until daikon is soft when pierced with the tip of a small sharp knife, 50–60 minutes.

2. Put miso into a medium pan set over another medium pan of simmering water over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until paste loosens, about 1 minute. Gradually add sake, then rice wine, stirring until smooth. Add sugar and egg yolk and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick and creamy, 1–2 minutes. Stir in dashi and ginger.

3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer daikon, one of the cut sides up, to 8 small bowls and discard cooking liquid. Spoon some of the miso sauce on top of each piece of daikon, spreading it out with the back of the spoon to cover top of daikon completely.

REC: Roasted Radishes

Roasted Radishes

These tender radishes are a fine accompaniment for grilled steak or roast chicken.
SERVES 2–4

INGREDIENTS:
3 bunches assorted radishes (about 1½ lbs.)
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
6 sprigs fresh thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 425˚. Trim radish greens; reserve for another use. Wash radishes, pat dry, and transfer to a large bowl with oil and thyme. Toss to combine; season with salt and pepper.

2. Put radishes into a shallow baking dish and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown and a small knife slides easily into radishes, 40–50 minutes

REC: Chicken Thighs With Sauteed Radishes

Chicken Thighs With Sauteed Radishes Recipe

1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced shallot
12 radishes, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup half-and-half
1 bunch watercress (about 4 ounces), divided into four servings
1/4 cup sliced scallions

Heat oven to 250°F (warm oven).

Season chicken with salt and pepper; set aside.

In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and sauté for 1 minute. Add chicken and radish pieces to pan and sauté for an additional 15 minutes, or until chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Remove to oven-safe plate and place in oven to keep warm.

Add broth to sauté pan and turn heat to high. Stir, scraping up any browned bits on bottom of pan. Whisk in Dijon mustard. Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk in half-and-half. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, allowing sauce to thicken slightly. Remove from heat. Adjust seasoning, if necessary.

Evenly divide watercress among four plates. Divide chicken and radishes evenly, placing on top of watercress, then spoon some sauce over each serving. Sprinkle sliced scallions on top of each dish. Yields 4 servings.

REC: Cooked radishes

Cooked radishes

Makes 8 servings.

3 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
4 cups radishes, sliced (measure after slicing)
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1-1/2 teaspoons oreagno, dried and crushed
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

Put a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan over high heat. When hot, add the butter. When the butter is melted and just barely beginning to brown, add the sliced radishes and saute for 5 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and add the oregano by rubbing it in between the palms of your hands. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer; season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes more or until liquid is gone. Serve warm.

REC: Chickpea Salad with Radishes and Cucumber

Chickpea Salad with Radishes and Cucumber
6 Servings
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (I used more)
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and freshly group pepper, to taste
One 19-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 lb. seedless cucumber, thinly sliced crosswise
6 large red radishes, thinly slided
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley or cilantro

In a large bowl, combine the live oil, lemon juice, garlic, lemon zest and cumin and season with salt and pepper. Add the chickpeas and let marinate for at least 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Just before serving, stir in the cucumbers, radishes, onion, and herb(s) and seas with salt and pepper.

RCP:Iceberg Lettuce Salad with Radishes and Blue Cheese Dressing

Iceberg Salad with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing

Super simple yet very elegant, this Iceberg Salad with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing can be prepared ahead of time and assembled right before serving. And the homemade blue cheese dressing is one of the best I’ve ever had!
Serves: 4 servings
Ingredients
Dressing
4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper
Salad
6 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced into rounds
5 green onions, white and green parts cut into ¼” thick pieces
4 celery stalks from the center of the bunch, cleaned and sliced into ¼” thick slices
1 large heat of iceberg lettuce, wilted outer leaves removed
4 to 6 oz blue cheese, crumbled
fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper

Instructions
Make the Dressing
Place the blue cheese in a bowl and microwave for 15-20 seconds, until it is starting to melt.
In a food processor or blender, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar and melted blue cheese. Process until the dressing is smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the Salad
Combine the radishes, green onions and celery in a bowl.
Cut the lettuce into four ¾” slices. Place each disc on a dinner plate. Spoon some of the dressing on top of each of the discs of lettuce. Top with ¼ of the vegetables. Sprinkle with the blue cheese and season with the fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper.
To Make Ahead:
Prepare the dressing and refrigerate until ready to serve the salads. Combine the radishes, green onions and celery and refrigerate. When ready to serve, cut the lettuce and assemble the salads.

Radish Top Soup from Joe and RuthAB. I asked for recipes when I was buying organic radishes with

lovely fresh green tops. I've made the soup many times and it is very tasty. Links follow. Sadly, I've never cooked a radish.

And while looking for above recipes, I found this radish thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck at your recipe table. I was thinking of you recently when I went to our Wegmans. They

had a special setup with the ingredients, recipe and a "taste" of their evening offering. It was one stop shopping for busy people. They did not have fancy recipe cards, just a print out. But it was so easy for those that do not have time, energy or creativity w/ preparing a new dish. I think your recipe table will be a huge hit.

Good luck! Will be thinking of you on the 4th!

This side is delicious and very T & T--Vegetable Radishes

eat at/swap/forum/msgid=89718

MODERATOR EDIT: I haven't located the original thread however here is the content of the recipe post by member @wigs :
--------------------
Vegetable Radishes

(I originally acquired this recipe from a class I took with Stephen Lee, and it can be found in his cookbook entitled GO WITHS.)

Makes 8 servings.

3 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
4 cups radishes, sliced (measure after slicing)
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1-1/2 teaspoons oreagno, dried and crushed
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

Put a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan over high heat. When hot, add the butter. When the butter is melted and just barely beginning to brown, add the sliced radishes and saute for 5 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and add the oregano by rubbing it in between the palms of your hands. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer; season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes more or until liquid is gone. Serve warm.
-------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Back