Need help with making Flan or Creme Caramel..

carroll-astana

I never make this before and I am not sure if the name is flan or creme caramel, I made a search and this is one I think I am trying to make:

----

Flan

1 cup pure maple syrup

3 1/2 cups whipping cream

7 large egg yolks

1/8 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup

For flan:

Simmer maple syrup in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 7 minutes. Stir in cream; return to simmer.

Whisk egg yolks in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture. Whisk in salt. Strain custard into another large bowl. Cover and chill until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 300°F. Stir sugar, 1/4 cup water, and light corn syrup in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 6 minutes. Pour syrup into 9 1/4x5 1/4x3-inch nonstick metal loaf pan, tilting pan carefully to coat sides. Let stand 10 minutes.

Pour custard into pan with syrup. Place loaf pan in large roasting pan. Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come halfway up sides of loaf pan. Cover roasting pan with foil. Pierce foil all over with fork. Bake flan 1 hour 45 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 325°F. Uncover and bake until flan is set around edges but center moves slightly when pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour longer. Remove flan from water. Transfer to rack; cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The reason I am thinking of this one is because I manage to get hold of maple syrup in the supermarket but I am not sure about whipping cream. I can always get a recipe using condensed milk. The problem is I can only get hold of a 10 inch x 2 inch (high)non stick tube pan. But I only have a baking pan that is 1 inch high, do you think it will work?
I know that we can steam it in a wok, can someone let me know the details, pls. Also will the flan rise like a cake because I plan to fill the tube to the very brim.

Thanks.

Carroll

I believe the two terms are interchangable. The maple >>

syrup is unique to this recipe, but it sounds delicious. You can use condensed milk, or milk, instead of cream, though it won't be as rich.

The pans you have will be fine--the cooking time may be a little less with the tube pan, so be careful not to overcook. Like the recipe says, it should wiggle slightly.

Good luck!

You can use a variety of pans. I usually make individual...

servings baked in thick (not china) teacups. You can use souflee pans, one big one or individual. You can also bake in a single layer cake pan. I never cover mine with foil. I have also made with powdered milk. (used 1.5 strength). I mix it all in the blender. Points to remember, don't over beat, this is NOT supposed to be airy. It doesn't rise (or not supposed to ) . Don't overcook. Stick a clean knife midway between center & edge should come out clean. Middle will be a little jiggly. I have never used maple syrup but it sounds very good.

I agree it will work in your tube pan (more)

but if you must use condensed milk this recipe will be too sweet and if you lower the amount of sugar because of condensed milk the consistancy will not be right. Can you get evaporated milk there?

By the way, I haven't seen any flan that was more than 2 inches tall, if that.

So I wouldn't use a deep pan to cook it in. It may "flop" out & break upon unmolding. Just a cautionary note.
Also if you cook it too hot or too long it may come out with a "curdled" texture.

I agree about unmolding but I just scoop flan and serve in bowls. It is less intimidating LOL

Carroll, I wonder if in your Q about the "flan" rising....

that you maybe thinking of the cake flan, popular in the 60's. Haven't seen those in ages.
Custards don't rise and that is what your recipe is a baked custard. A very tasty sounding recipe with maple syrup. Keep us posted as to how it turns out.
hugs j

Back