Need ideas for using LOTS of cooking onions

teapotter

Enthusiast Member
I have access to a large quantity of yellow cooking onions that will probably not store well. They are leftovers from a storage rot research project and I'd guess that there are about 80 - 100 lb or so for the taking. I am trying the crockpot method of carmelizing a bunch but need some other ideas.

Fill your crockpot to the absolute brim.

Add a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar and then cook on low. Mine took 24 hours total (big crockpot--probably6 quarts of sliced onions)--it needs to be dark and almost jam like. It makes absolutely delicious caramelized onions. Put them in muffin cups, freeze and then turn out into a plastic bag. Use for "almost instant French onion soup", pizza, 2X baked potato topping, topping for a grilled steak, etx.
I will add that this cooks down to about 6 large muffin tinsfull!!

REC: Beef Shanks Braised in Onion

Beef Shanks Braised in Onion
(from the Bargemen of the Rhone) Lydie Marshall
A Passion for My Provence

1 t. olive oil
4 slice beef shank, 1½ inches thick, bone in, fat trimmed (about 4 lb.)
2 lb. onions, sliced
2 ½ t. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 sprigs thyme

Preheat oven to 300º
Oil bottom of dutch oven large enough to comfortably fit the meat in 1 layer. Put half the onion slices into the bottom of pan, sprinkle with 1 t. salt. Nestle meat on top. Sprinkle with ½ t. salt and pepper, strew thyme branches over and cover with remaining onion slices; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cover tightly.

Braise in oven for 3 hours.

With this, Lydie serve sautéed young turnips and steamed potatoes.

Rec : Smothered Chicken and Onions

Smothered Chicken and Onions

1 large fryer, cut into serving pieces, about 3-1/2 lbs.
salt and cayenne
1 tbsp vegetable or other oil
8 cups julienne onions, about 2-1/2 lbs., (sometimes I use less, like about 6 cups)
1 cup thinly sliced bell peppers
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup water
1 cup whole kernel corn
1 cup young sweet green peas (sometimes I omit)
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (cremini mushrooms work well too)
3 tbsp finely chopped parsley

Season the chicken pieces with salt and cayenne. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and brown, cooking for 6 to 8 minutes on each side. Add the onions. Season with salt and cayenne. Stirring constantly, wilt and brown the onions, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned particles, about 10 minutes. Add the bell peppers and bay leaf. Continue stirring, again scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned particles, for about 15 minutes. Add the water, cover, and reduce the heat to medium. Stir occasionally and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender. Add the corn, peas, and mushrooms, cover, and cook for 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the parsley. Remove the bay leaf and serve immediately. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Pat’s notes: Good served with Armenian-style rice and a tossed green salad. Original recipe calls for 1 tbsp flour but no mention where to add it so I usually leave it out.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_5010,00.html

I sometimes make onion soup using as many onions as will fit halfway...

up my crockpot, a half stick of butter, and a little salt and pepper. Add beef stock to bring to consistency you like, and cook on low for about 12 hours (that seems to be the trend).

Do you have a recipe for the crockpot carmelized onions that...

you could post or link to maybe? Thanks.

Thanks for explaining how you do it!

I found a couple of spots on the internet that gave sort of vague instructions and times listed were varied from about 6 to 10 hours but at 10 they still weren't done for me. My crockpot is smaller than yours but it still was about 18 hours to get them to where they seemed done and without your post I would have been wondering what I was doing wrong. And they sure do cook down, from 10 cups of sliced to start with I ended up with only 2 cups carmelized so I will be able to cook up lots more like this!

Thanks for all the great ideas!

I will definitely be doing carmelized ones. I was quite surprised at how much they cook down. I have several recipes to try now and also have two different chutney recipes on the go and if they work out reasonably well I will post the recipes. Onion soup is on the menu for tomorrow.

OOh. I forgot. Caramelized onions (45 min) then finished off with a bit of white wine is wonderful

on pasta. So sweet.

The onions cook until golden (and fairly mushy) with the lid on, then add wine, cooking lid off for 5 minutes. Nothing else needed but a bit of parmagiano and a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley plus lots of sea salt and a few grounds of pepper.

(start the onions with 2 t. olive oil)

In the style of Marcella Hazan.

Back