NFRC: HELP! My food processor is going out....WHICH KIND TO BUY???

gayle-mo

The one I have is my original Sunbeam from about 1980 and it's been a great one!! So heavy and has been a powerhorse for me all these years.

But...tonight I've been making hand molded cream cheese mints for a wedding and the dough is quite stiff and my processor isn't doing the job it once did. (4 batches of mint dough one after the other didn't use to be a problem) I'm thinking I'll be getting a new one soon, very soon, so wanted to ask your opinions!

Cuisinart? KA? Or What?? (I heard the KA isn't that great, really) BUT I want your personal opinions of which ones have worked hard for you without fail!

HELP!

Thanks! I can't live without a processor!

I don't have the answer...but am curious too...

My KA blender died after a year...a YEAR! Talk about dismayed! Yes...they'll diagnose and repair, but still... I've had my La Machine for 25 years, and it's been coddled and pampered. I can hardly wait to read the answer for both our sakes!

Not a definitive answer, but perhaps some help...

I also have the Sunbeam LeChef from so far back that I can't remember it's age. It has faltered a few times when I asked it to do too much, but it's always recovered. (so far)
I read years ago that the KA heavy duty and pro models had been tested and found very reliable by the New England Culinary Institute. What I liked about them was that they came with several sized bowls, and had attachments that other brands did not.
I solved the small batch problem by getting a Cuisinart blender/food processor combination when my blender died.
I would probably still go after a KA FP if/when my Sunbeam gives it up totally.
Now for the help part....
I found this website, from Consumer Reports, that might give you some info.
They also seem to like the KA.....
Let us know what you decide.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitchen/food-processors/

Re: NFRC: HELP! My food processor is going out....WHICH KIND TO BUY???

I just replaced my 7-cup Cuisinart with a 14-cup one. The 7-cup one is labelled "Cuisinart made by Robot Coupe" and when you turn it over it's marked "made in France 1979". The processor (motor) still works like a charm although the chopping blade is not as sharp and I've noticed with the new one that the veggie slices are much cleaner. The reason I replaced it - the plastic shaft for the slicer and grater dried out and cracked. I tried everywhere, but because of its age, the replacement parts were not available.

I like KA products (I have the mixer and enjoy their attachments) but have never tried their processor but dont think you could go wrong if you get that one.

Not much help I know - good luck.

I love my 12 cup KA. It has the smaller bowl; lots of attachments. It is about 12 mo old; (m)

I use it all the time.

Regards,
Barb

My experience with processors- a novel

I cannot function in the kitchen without food processors. It has been that way since the 1970s. I use them hard and often- every day and many days several times. When I catered processors were my lifesaver. Even now that I don't cater, I cook a lot and still use them hard. I'm sure you get the picture.

I had two Cuisinarts made by Robot Coupe purchased in the 70s that were unbelievable workhorses. The best machines I ever saw. Thick walled processor bowls, very strong motors, just great. When we moved to Hawaii all our worldly possessions got packed and shipped but one of the processors was hand-carried on the plane by me. Both eventually had to be replaced because Robot Coupe sold off the Cuisinart name to a Japanese firm and parts were no longer available due to the age of the machines. Well, I just went right out and bought an 11 cup Cuisinart, thinking it would be the same quality.

Never have I been so wrong! Thin walls on the bowl, stuff squirts out of the place where the top attaches to the bowl, the motor can't quite handle the doughs, grating cheeses, the blades are thin and wimpy, some of the other functions I need it for don't hold up. My goodness! What a surprise to me. Well, I started to research Robot Coupe and what was available and found they only have a commercial line of products and they are expensive. Okay, said I, I'll bite the bullet and get one! So, without as much as seeing one in "person" I ordered the least expensive model on line- knowing full well the quality would be there.

It was. I have had it for almost 8 years and absolutely swear by it. The Cuisinart is used for "normal" processor jobs but the Robot Coupe, my very own Rolls Royce of processors, is used for the tough jobs. It has a "shooter" top section that fits over the center post when I want to do a lot of slicing, grating, shredding or the like. I love it. The price is hefty- when I bought it I spent almost $800 but I spent $200 on the Robot Coupe in the 70s so that is about right in today's $.

I still keep an eye on what is out there and if you don't want to spend the big bucks on this kind of processor, I will pass on that people talk quite enthusiastically about KA processors. I personally have not tried one but I know many satisfied users. I know I personally will not purchase another Cuisinart in the future.

Wow, Cathy! Excellent read! Thanks everyone!

I won't spend $800. for a processor for no more than I will use it at this time in my life but I am really happy to have your opinion on the Cuisinart! (and everyone else's, too!) THANKS!

I'll be doing more research and price watching and will let you know what I come up with. Your experiences are very helpful! I sure hate it that my Sunbeam LeChef is less than wonderful now. The motor sounds fine but the bowl 'stuck' on the center column when I made the stiff mint dough. I was able to get it off with a few batches but the last batch stuck so tight I'm tempted to just trash it. Guess I won't be making any more mints for awhile! ha

Blessings and many thanks!!

Buy a German one ...

I'm on my second BRAUN -- German-made, powerful, and extremely reliable. The first one shorted out after years of intensive use, could probably be repaired, but with small appliances that's always a problem.

I have this faith in German-made products. My stove is AEG and so is my washing machine -- both were still made in Germany.

Back