Northwest Sugar Cured Salmon

cheezz

I hated fish until I had this at an Indian reservation up north. It's WONDERFUL! (and easy)

2 Tbl. firmly packed brown sugar

1 Tbl. cider vinegar

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

1-1/2 pounds salmon or bluefish fillet or butterflied trout (I've only tried salmon)

Combine brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub evenly over fish. Wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours (*see notes below)

Prepare grill (*see notes below). Grill covered, skin side down, over medium-low coals 15-18 minutes (8-10 min. for trout), until opaque. Turn fish over and grill uncovered 2 more minutes.

*Notes: I usually plop it in a ziploc in the fridge and marinate only 2 hours - it's always come out perfect. I have never grilled (since I don't own one). I have one of those counter-top Nesco Jet Stream Ovens and I do it for 10 minutes. Have also seared it in a skillet -- no matter how you do it, you end up with this wonderful caramelized coating with that sweet/tart/peppery flavor.

I think this was from an old Woman's Day, not sure, but they recommend serving it with a grilled corn and chile salsa which I have never tried.

Back