Not much of a bread baker but want to try the Focaccia in the March issue...

barbara-in-va

of Tastes of Italia. I am having guests over this weekend and have only one oven (what a curse!!) in which to bake the chicken, warm the roasted squash and maybe bake the focaccia. So, my question is, can I bake it in the morning and then reheat after everything else is out of the oven?

If not, can I do any of the rising steps ahead and store in the fridge until ready to bake? And if I can rise ahead and refrigerate, at what step does the dough go into the fridge and how long can it stay there?

Also, if there are any important hints I need to know to turn out a successful focaccia I would appreciate it!

Thank you so much,

Barbara

Barbara, can you post the recipe? I just went through focaccia angst wtih Julia Child's

"Baking with Julia" version.

Her instructions were impeccable, but my results were only so-so. I never got the "squeaky" sound she specified and basically, we found we liked the bread much better NOT flattening it just before baking. It did make a KILLER tuna fish sandwich when split and grilled on stove top with fresh mozzarella and herbs.

I brought back fresh cakes of yeast from home--always a thrill to have that unique smell in the kitchen and used my new 450W uber-KitchenAid mixer. I'm very sad to consider that that may be where I went awry. I used the dough hook and felt the dough looked a little "off"...but I couldn't bear to burst my long-time crush on the KA's kneading abilities. It rose beautifully---twice--as Julia instructs, it spent the night in the frig as instructed, but the final baked version was disappointing. Tough and crunchy. The second was slightly better, but I didn't deflat the third ball before baking and we liked that best.

So...I'm still on the lookout for the perfect foccacia.

Absolutely to all of that.

But really best if it can bake right before dinner. So the question is, how long will the chicken take on its own ? Foccacia is not temperamental. But if you bake it and just keep it warm while the chick is cooking, that would be fine. It doesn't need to be warm to be good.

If not, can I do any of the rising steps ahead and store in the fridge until ready to bake? ...Yes

And if I can rise ahead and refrigerate, at what step does the dough go into the fridge and how long can it stay there? ...overnight still works. Put it in before the last rise.

Also, if there are any important hints I need to know to turn out a successful focaccia I would appreciate it!...Here's my experience with foccacia:

I don't know what your recipe is but if you can put a small amount of ww flour in, it helps to make it a bit more rustic. That would be only about 1/8 of the white flour.

I make mine using chopped fresh rosemary. I put some inside and sprinkle lots on the top. (sometimes I will use ground rosemary in the flour instead of chopped) Also needs a brush of good olive oil on the top and the most important is the best quality coarse salt you have sprinkled over before the bake. I use Guerande coarse sea salt. I think that's what makes it. I have seen guests just sit and eat the foccacia without stopping until it's gone and then think back on what they did, knowing that they just filled the vacant spots that the dinner would have occupied. So I'd say, put it out WITH dinner or if you put it out a few minutes before, watch your guests!! If it's good, it's irresistable.

Another important thing is how you dimple it before baking. I like it quite thin and with numerous dimples (I use my thumb) right through almost to the pan.

REC: Focaccia w/Marjoram and Olive Oil...

Marilyn I am not sure these directions are for beginners like me. I think I need a bit more explanation!

Source: Tasts of Italia march 2006 p. 28

"This seasoned bread showcases sea salt, marjoram and extra virgin olive oil. In Florence, it's called "Schicciata", in Bologna "piadina" and in American and elsewhere, it's "focaccia." No matter the name, this lightly seasoned pizza dough bread makes an especially delicious change from grilled bread. It is put on the table and eaten with or without other food. In Italy, a whole focaccia in a bakery weights several pounds and is sold by weight, cut into manageable pieces.

Various ingredients can be worked into the dough or serve as a topping -- cheese, ham, olives, onions, oregano, pancetta or rosemary. Compare the simple one presented here with the complex one served on Good Friday in Apulia -- focaccia del Venerdi Santi -- topped with anchovies, capers, chicory, fennel, olives and other things. For other occasions, it may be flavored with sun dried tomatoes or herbs, but one of my favorites is the simple one with sea salt, an herb and extra virgin olive oil.

It seems to me that no one in Genoa eats regular bread. Focaccia reigns here, and it is present everywhere in Liguria, almost always herbed or with olives or just plain.

1 envelope active dry yeast
1 t sugar
1 C warm water
3-3.5 C flour
2 T freshly chopped marjoram
1/4 C + 2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 t coarse salt

Sprinkle the yeast and the sugar over the warm water and stir. Let stand 10 minutes. Place 3 scant C flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Add the yeast mixture, 1 T marjoram, 1/4 C olive oil and 1 t coarse salt. Work in the flour until a dough forms, then turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed. Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down, form a ball and put back in the bowl. Let rise again until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Brush a 14" pizza pan or an 11 x 7" jelly roll pan generously with olive oil. Gently punch down the dough, fitting it in the pan, and brush all over with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with the remaining teaspoon of salt and tablespoon of marjoram. Let rise for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Bake the focaccia until nicely browned, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.

Hi Gay! This is a great article. Thank you! I think I am a bit intimidated to try ....

this on guests. I may practice on DH for a while before I debut!!! LOL!!!!

Marg, a HUGH thank you for your wonderful descriptions. As I told GayR below...

I think I may practice on DH for a while before I try this on guests! May have bitten of more than I can chew. Think I'll just use my standard (oh horrors of horrors...............) box mix for the guests Sat night!

No NO this is so foolproof. Just give it a try. If people don't like it,

you'll have leftovers for the squirrels. It really is easy. Just don't forget to
FLAVOUR
SALT &
DIMPLE

and if you like it crispy, just spray with a bit of water from your ironing board...maybe twice during the baking.

Barbara, You're very welcome, however, I agree with Marg don't

be afraid to try the recipe. It really is simple to make just a bit time consuming. I'm sure it will come out beauitifully.

Gay

I don't know why this REC: Rosemary Focaccia from Nick Malgieri works--no kneading at all..but it do

Rosemary Focaccia

Recipe By :Nick Malgieri

5 cups all purpose flour -- unbleached
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
8 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
1 teaspoon Kosher salt -- or coarse

One 11-x-17-inch jelly roll pan

1. In a mixing bowl combine flour, salt and rosemary.

2. Pour 2 cups tepid water into another bowl and whisk in the yeast, then 3 tablespoons of the oil. With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir the yeast mixture into the flour mixture until all the flour is evenly moistened, then beat vigorously for 1 minute. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

3. Oil the jelly roll pan with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Scrape the dough out of the bowl and onto the pan and pat and press the dough into the pan to fill it completely. If the dough resists, wait a few minutes and continue. Poke holes in the dough at 2-inch intervals with your fingertips and drizzle with the remaining oil. Sprinkle on the salt.

4. Allow the dough to rise again until doubled in bulk. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees and set a rack in the lower third.

5. When the dough has risen, bake until deep golden, about 25 minutes. Check the bottom about halfway through the baking time by lifting the side of the focaccia with a spatula or pancake turner. If it is coloring deeply, slide the original pan onto another pan to insulate the bottom.

6. Slide the focaccia off the pan or a rack to cool. Serve narrow slices, or cut into squares _ and split horizontally for sandwiches.

Source:
"Web Site"
Yield:
"1 11-x-17-inch focaccia"
Start to Finish Time:
"2:30"
T(Baking Time):
"0:25"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 407 Calories; 14g Fat (32.0% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 770mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Variations:

Onion Focaccia: Omit rosemary from dough. Slice 3 medium onions and cook in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a covered pan until wilted. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Spread evenly on dough instead of the salt and rosemary.

Sage Focaccia: Replace rosemary with fresh sage.

Tomato and Olive Focaccia: Omit rosemary from dough. Cover focaccia with 1 cup chopped and drained canned tomatoes, 1/2 cup halved and pitted black olives, 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, salt and pepper.

Don't know why this REC:Rosemary Focaccia from Malgieri works--no kneading required--but it does...

Rosemary Focaccia

Recipe By :Nick Malgieri

5 cups all purpose flour -- unbleached
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
8 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
1 teaspoon Kosher salt -- or coarse

One 11-x-17-inch jelly roll pan

1. In a mixing bowl combine flour, salt and rosemary.

2. Pour 2 cups tepid water into another bowl and whisk in the yeast, then 3 tablespoons of the oil. With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir the yeast mixture into the flour mixture until all the flour is evenly moistened, then beat vigorously for 1 minute. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

3. Oil the jelly roll pan with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Scrape the dough out of the bowl and onto the pan and pat and press the dough into the pan to fill it completely. If the dough resists, wait a few minutes and continue. Poke holes in the dough at 2-inch intervals with your fingertips and drizzle with the remaining oil. Sprinkle on the salt.

4. Allow the dough to rise again until doubled in bulk. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees and set a rack in the lower third.

5. When the dough has risen, bake until deep golden, about 25 minutes. Check the bottom about halfway through the baking time by lifting the side of the focaccia with a spatula or pancake turner. If it is coloring deeply, slide the original pan onto another pan to insulate the bottom.

6. Slide the focaccia off the pan or a rack to cool. Serve narrow slices, or cut into squares _ and split horizontally for sandwiches.

Source:
"Web Site"
Yield:
"1 11-x-17-inch focaccia"
Start to Finish Time:
"2:30"
T(Baking Time):
"0:25"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 407 Calories; 14g Fat (32.0% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 770mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Variations:

Onion Focaccia: Omit rosemary from dough. Slice 3 medium onions and cook in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a covered pan until wilted. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Spread evenly on dough instead of the salt and rosemary.

Sage Focaccia: Replace rosemary with fresh sage.

Tomato and Olive Focaccia: Omit rosemary from dough. Cover focaccia with 1 cup chopped and drained canned tomatoes, 1/2 cup halved and pitted black olives, 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, salt and pepper.

Back