RECIPE: Not to be missed REC: Old-Fashioned Two Crust Peach Pie

RECIPE:

mariadnoca

I had to hunt all over for this recipe because apparently it is nowhere online -now, but yet I'd printed it out, so I had to have it saved someplace (I've been saving recipes to a HD vs. printing since Gail's). I finally found it on a lone flash drive that I'd used with an old work computer - thank goodness. Because when I made this pie and brought it to a Meet-up of strangers I was the instant favorite --- someone even posted a year later "I still remember that wonderful peach pie." Yeah, it really was that good. Of course I can tell from the crust recipe (which is also in T&T) that this must be a Dorie Greenspan recipe. I plan to make it for the 4th...and I was dead set it was going to be THIS peach pie, thank you ye old flash drive for saving this so I can share it all with you...I think if others try it, it's a contender for T&T.

Happy Summer, y'all!

Old-Fashioned Two Crust Peach Pie

Prep Time: 30 Minutes (not including crust; note: crust needs to chill at least 1 hour - can do ahead)

Cook Time: 45 Minutes

Ready In: 1 Hour 15 Minutes

Servings: 8

“It isn’t summer without peach pie.”

INGREDIENTS:

Good-for-Almost-Anything Pie Crust for a double crust, chilled (see below)

1 egg, beaten

5 cups sliced peeled peaches

2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C).

2. Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate with one of the pie crusts. Brush with some of the beaten egg to keep the dough from becoming soggy later.

3. Place the sliced peaches in a large bowl, and sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix gently. (If very wet/juicy you do this in a colander and drain some before putting in a bowl to mix with dry ingredients. This will help keep pie from getting soggy.) In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Pour over the peaches, and mix gently. Pour into the pie crust, and dot with butter. Cover with the other pie crust, and fold the edges under. Flute the edges to seal or press the edges with the tines of a fork dipped in egg. Brush the remaining egg over the top crust. Cut several slits in the top crust to vent steam.

4. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, and then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, until the crust is brown and the juice begins to bubble through the vents. If the edges brown to fast, cover them with strips of aluminum foil about halfway through baking. Cool before serving. This tastes better warm than hot.

Good-for-Almost-Everything Pie Dough

For a 9-inch double crust

INGREDIENTS:

* 3 c. AP flour

* 1/4 c. sugar

* 1 1/2 tsp. salt

* 2 1/2 sticks (10 oz.) very cold (frozen is fine) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-size pieces

* 1/3 c. very cold (frozen is even better) vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces

* about 1/2 c. ice water

DIRECTIONS:

Put the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor fitted with a metal blade; pulse just to combine the ingredients. Drop the butter and shortening in and pulse only until the butter and shortening are cut into the flour. Don't overdo the mixing - what you're aiming for is to have some pieces the size of fat green peas and others the size of barley. Pulsing the machine on and off, gradually add about 6 tablespoons of the ice water - add a little water and pulse once, a little more and pulse again, and keep going that way. The use a few long pulses to get the water into the flour. If, after a dozen or so pulses, the dough doesn't look evenly moistened or form soft curds, pulse in as much of the remaining water as necessary or even a few drops more, to get the dough that will stick together when pinched. Big pieces of butter still in the dough are fine. Scrape the dough onto a work surface. Divide the dough in half, gather each half into a ball, flatten them into disks, wrap in plastic and chill at least an hour.

I know what you mean...I miss my tree...

Today I went to WF's (blech*) and a local organic produce place. The yellow peaches I got were better than WF, but more on the just ok side, but the more $$$$$ donut and white ones were awful. Even the guy at the store admitted it.

I would've thought you'd get good ones from Georgia. These at least aren't mealy, but what's with peaches these days? Do folks only grow so-so shippable varieties?

However, the strawberries (on sale!) at this organic place are magical. I'll go back later in the week to get some for jam.

*a fellow shopper at WF told me not to worry they ripened in about a day and would taste wonderful and sweet. I decided sadly, this woman has never had a good peach.

Back