On Efficient juicing of Pomegranates, and for easy, pretty jelly. . .

mistral

I just juiced enough pomegranates to get a Gallon and a Quart of juice (20-8oz cups).

I used an electric orange juicer to juice the poms. I cut the pomegranates in half, with the stem end at the top of one half and the blossom half at the top of the other half, just like you would cut an orange to juice. I then proceeded to juice away, pushing not-to-hard to keep most of the seeds in the rind while juicing. I got plenty of juice and probably would have gotten more had I juiced the pomegranates just after picking instead of a month and a half after picking!

And since I am lazy, I left the jug of juice to sit in the refrigerator for a day or two so all of the cloudy stuff could settle to the bottom of the jug. When I measured out the juice, taking care to not disturb what had settled at the bottom of the containers and made jelly, it came out clear and sparkling; I dumped the sludge at the bottom of the smaller juice jars I emptied first. The jelly is really quite pretty and I didn't have to filter the juice. Of course if I wish to use all of the juice still mixed in with the "sludge" at the bottom of the jug I will have to filter the sludge, but I have enough to not worry about filtering--at least this year!

An addition: Most recipes will tell you separate the juicy kernels from the waxy pith and peel, which is a lot of work, but does give very nice results. The recipes will often tell you that this method is the way to avoid a bitter, tannin-like flavor in the juice (from bruising the seeds) and it does. BUT the orange juicer method I have described above works great--BUT you MUST let juice settle, undisturbed, in a container for a day or two and you will obtain very clear, clean tasting juice. I tasted my juice right after juicing and it was pretty nasty; very puckery. Two days later I tasted it after settling and it was not tannin-puckery at all and was very tasty and clear. If you have pomegranates, make juice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back