Only been coming here for a couple of days but I have a technical (NFR) question >>>

steve2-in-la

This place looks remarkably like the original epi swap and all the familiar names are quite comforting. Nice job, Mimi.

I was wondering if I'm missing something or if there's a way, after opening a string, of returning to the original post rather than the top of the page. Not that it's a problem, but by the time I've read the string, I forget which post I've read and have to scroll the whole page to figure out where I was.

Is this me or does everyone have this issue?

Anyway, nice to see y'all again, I hope to be contributing soon.

Hi Steve!!! smileys/smile.gif I was once told it has to do with (more)

what program you are using.
I use Explorer, and I always return to the thread, but I've heard that with Netscape and Opera, for instance, you return to the top of the page.

I hope this helps smileys/smile.gif))

PS: It's good to see you too. I love seing all the familiar names in here smileys/smile.gif

I always able to return to the place I was at the Classic Gail's Swap . . .

and I am running Netscape 7.2 now. Is Netscape based on Mozilla now and had not been based on Mozilla in previous incarnations?

Thanks,

--mistral

Also happens with Netscape. Numbers appearing on the click-through window would be helpful so we

would be able to find the previous spot more quickly. But I find that it's really helpful using the MARK READ feature here as it reduces a lot of time in searching. You may not have used that yet Steve.

I suspect that the techies will figure this out evenutally as it was not a problem for me at Gail's either. But no matter.

Right...it didn't use the "no-cache" directive. The Mozilla bug is with "no-cache".

Netscape is based on Mozilla and has been for a long time. Gail's Swap didn't have this problem because they weren't using the "no-cache" directive in order to prevent the browser from cacheing the page. In the old Gail's, to see new posts that appeared while you were browsing the site, you had to manually refresh the page. To remove "no-cache" from FK would interfere with usability for the majority of FK users.

Netscape uses the Mozilla engine. Also...

the techies have figured out why it happens, and even how to fix it. In my response to Mistral I explained that it's because the old Gail's didn't use "no-cache" and we do - and in my link at 744.3 it explains how it's a bug with how Mozilla interprets "no-cache" and there's even a link to the official Mozilla bug report where Mozilla developers explain this exact problem.

To fix it, we'd have to remove the "no-cache" directive from the site. That would not be an overall improvement for the majority of users, and I'm pretty sure even the Mozilla users would find they just traded one inconvenience for another.

I'm really sorry, I want to make everyone happy, but this particular issue just isn't resolveable until Mozilla fixes their bug.

Wait Marg, I missed something. Numbers appearing on the click-through window?

Sorry I was multitasking (badly) when I was answering your question! Can you elaborate on what you mean? I'd certainly be happy to implement any viable workaround that makes it easier for everyone.

It was about the posts being numbered when we opened them. Now on this one, I have noticed that

they are numbered below the box in the list. I was looking up above. Was that a change or was it always like that?

Very sorry Mimi. My eyes are getting slow. And thank you for pointing that out (even though you didn't). This is a lot handier than combing through all the posts from the top to find the one that we had clicked on.

I just love all these features....the ability to edit, the Mark Read, the auto NT.

AH! I understand. No it was always like that, but you have a point there...

Up above, say for example underneath the subject, I don't think I can easily get the system to figure out where the post is within in a thread, like for example 744.3.2.2 (because all the numbers after the 744 are an ordered list and it's the browser that assigns the numbers, not the database). But I could do something like have it say "from thread #744" or something like that. That already appears on the "Print" page now.

Thanks for the help all. Like I said, I can deal, with the situation,> > >

I just thought there might be something I missed. I'm presently using IE to browse and it does work better. So, what's all this about "Mark read"?

Steve, when you're done reading what interests you, you can click on "Mark Read" ...

in the menu at the top. This will turn every single post in the forum the thin, dark khaki color like a post that has already been read (even if you haven't read them). From that point on, only the NEW posts will be bold. This makes the new posts much easier to find in the long list.

And one of may favorite "make my life easier so I don't look like...

a real ditz" is I don't have to remember to put NT. Mimi does it for me. Cool!

Mimi, I'm usually not THIS stupid (pretty stupid but not THIS stupid) . . .

Of course, there's always the chance I'm pretty AND stupid. Hmmmm, maybe JUST stupid. (damn!)

When I open a post, the heading WILL change color but it seems to do so automatically, rather than by any command.

That said, I see no "mark read" option anywhere on the page. Only "options" I see on the page are in a box to the left of my screen however those are:
• Print Message
• Ignore Poster

Perhaps I've been bad and don't DESERVE a "mark read" option.

As always, any and all help is not only appreciated but very possibly necessary.

Whoa! I AM that stupid. Just found the "mark read" option

but it only appears when you go back to a main page, rather than an individual post.

Naturally, like the chimp that I am, when I found the option, I clicked it and now, everything is "marked read" . . . whether I've read it or not. Man, if this keeps up, I'm gonna have to find some peroxide and go officially blonde.

Hey Steve - the "Mark Read" option is at the top of the main screen -

so you won't see it when you have a post open.

After I read everything I'm interested in, I use it. This board is so active, so it is really helpful to be able to see what is new.

Back