OT: Not recipe related but ? about pots/pans

buonappetito

I am due for a new set of pots and pans. I had a huge set of calphalon anodized pots for about 10 years and they are all in need of serious help. I am in the market for new pots and pans and have started some research but it is hard to know what really is recommended and tried and true versus sales pitches and plugs. I know amazon has some amazing deals on sets and I see them come across but do not want to commit until I know more and feel good about deciding which ones!

So ... after all the rambling, what are your favorite pots/pans?

What about safety concerns regarding different components - teflon? anodized aluminum? I am quiet ignorant on that subject but it has crossed my mind given the quips heard over the years. There are very few reputable articles online that discuss this.

Thanks!

Cooks Essentials from QVC. They have a variety of (m)

pots and pans. Check their website and you will see the various types. They just came out with a new SS/W copper insert that is supposed to be excellent. Their hard anodized has the NFS seal of approval on the bottom of the pan.

I have one Calphalon saute pan that I bought about 15 years ago and >>

it has the worst-sticking surface of any of my pans. It has also warped over the years, and it is the most expensive pan I own! "Built to be the last pan you ever buy..." my foot. I know I'm rough on things so I guess I need indestructable surfaces

I love plain sturdy stainless steel. I have my eye on All-clad, which I plan to start collecting piece by piece.

I also love the few pieces of enameled cast iron I have from Le Crueset.

Plain cast iron is still a bargain.

As for no-stick, I think you need a skillet or two, but I buy cheap ones the grocery store and replace them as needed. I don't think any no-stick surfaces last forever, at least not around me.

This is just my opinion. Other people swear by the anodized aluminum.

Calphalon has a good warranty depending

on what your pans need help in.
Sam's and Costco sell All Clad and calphalon lookalikes that are excellent in performance and in price.

I'm with Joe- All-Clad is a winner

I have a set of Copper Chef pans made by the same people and they have served me well for 30+ years. I usually use cheap T-Fal non-stick pans but I have a commercial stove now and also need a good set of heavy pans. My Copper Chefs are starting to show a lot of wear so All-Clad stainless is my next set. I have one pan now and it is fabulous.

My advice is to just have one or two cheap non-stick pans that you can replace easily- even though the technology of putting the surface on a pan is much better than it used to be, you will still eventually chip or scratch an expensive non-stick surface.

Buonappetito, I for got to mention that the Cooks Essentials (m)

have a Lifetime guarantee on all their cookware.
If something happens to the pan, with normal use, they will replace the item free. Somthing to consider. I do not know of any other Co. that does that, including the very expensive cookware.

I too agree with Joe all the way...from All Clad to LeCreuset to cast iron...

I have all of these and they do it all. I also have one big and one small inexpensive non-stick only used for certain things. My All Clad large steel fry pan (actually the "buffet pan" because I don't like those long handles) does not stick at all when used properly. My two sizes of All Clad "braisers" are so multi-purpose and versatile... And my cast irons (4 sizes) are like non-stick because I'm careful to keep them well-seasoned. One good-size LeCreuset dutch oven is indispensable. My regular old grunt-work saucepans, however, are Farberware. Fabulous pots and so affordable! I'm talking the stainless steel ones (not the non-stick) and you can buy them separately in open stock. They have professional quality heavy aluminum clad bottoms and are just a wonderful bargain. I've had mine for many, many years.

All-Clad Outlet in Flemington NJ (more)

There is an outlet for All-Clad - in Flemington. They carry seconds and first quality. The folks who run the store are very nice and helpful and will ship. I am fortunate to live nearby (maybe that's an unfortunate thing for my check book!) They run twice a year sales also.

http://www.cookwarenmore.com/home/index.cfm

I have Cook's Essentials and am very happy with the the pieces.

They cook evenly, don't seem to have hot spots, and wear very well.

Back