RECIPE: Outstanding again! REC: MarilynFL's Hominy Grill's Shrimp & Grits [Charleston, SC]

RECIPE:

colleenmomof2

Made the grits in the Instant Pot. Sautéed 1 cup of stone-ground grits in 1 TBS of bacon fat for several minutes in the Instant Pot inner pot. Added 3 cups water. Closed, sealed, set for MANUAL pressure at 13 minutes with natural release. Opened and stirred in fat free half and half and sharp cheddar.

Followed Marilyn's recipe using 8 oz of beautiful button mushrooms with 1/4# shrimp and a tablespoon or two of extra bacon fat (in addition to the fat from the 2 slices of bacon). This recipe IS shrimp and grits for DH and I smileys/wink.gif Thank you again! Colleen

Hominy Grill's Shrimp & Grits (Charleston, SC)

Serves 2 BIG portions

2 slices thick bacon, diced

1/2 lb shrimp, peeled (~16 large)

2 TBL flour

4 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced thick

1 TBL butter

1 clove garlic, minced

1 large shallot, diced

healthy squeeze of fresh lemon juice

few heavy shakes of hot sauce

fresh parsley or green onions

Have shrimp cleaned and patted dry. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.

Using a cast iron skillet, add the diced bacon and render until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel and drain off all grease, reserving it.

Add 1 TBL bacon grease and one TBL butter and saute mushrooms until liquid has exuded. Season with pepper.

Remove to a side dish.

Saute diced shallot and garlic for 1 minute. Remove to mushroom dish.

Toss shrimp with flour. Add 1 TBL bacon grease to skillet and saute shrimp for 1 minutes. Flip and add bacon, mushrooms, shallots and garlic. Toss and cook for another minute.

Squeeze lemon juice and hot sauce and toss all around. Serve over hot grits, sprinkle with parsley (restaurant uses green onions).

Rush to the table and dive in.

https://finerkitchens.com/swap/forum/index.php?action=display&forumid=1&msgid=248065

SAD SAD to say it has closed--permanently, last year!! Such a good place to eat.

I will also offer that cooking grits for shrimp and grits using half milk and half water or chicken broth brings an even more bit of goodness to the dish. Then finish with cream if desired.
I cook grits on the stovetop--4C liquid to 1C grits. Stir and as it cooks add more liquid if needed. YOu can't overcook!!
And of course, stone ground brands are better than Quaker, etc.

Well done! Glad to know you can get the same quality of grits with your Instant Pot.

That certainly cuts down on the time factor (one of the reasons I make and freeze it.)

Hmm. Not same as Facile. Next time I'll try 15 minutes of pressure

as the grits were slightly more grainy than after 2 hours in double boiler, but so tasty. And I did almost nothing smileys/wink.gif Would be better with added salt, butter, more cheese and heavy cream, I'm sure!

Dh and I were singing your praises. Truly outstanding meal! Colleen

Yes - doesn't evaporate. 1 cup stone-ground grits to 3 cups broth/water

I used this recipe as a base and made in Instant Pot inner pot. I sautéed the grits in bacon fat, added the water, stirred everything well and closed to pressurize - did not add the dairy or cheese or butter or salt until after, and MUCH less than listed in this recipe. The grits were in a blob when I opened the Instant Pot but once I stirred in the liquid they were near perfect. BUT I may try adding an extra 1/2 cup of broth next time and see if we like them better. AND if we weren't on a salt restricted diet, I should have added salt with water, the cheese is not enough. This time, I pressure cooked for 13 minutes with Natural Release but NEXT TIME, I will try 15 minutes.
By starting the grits in the Instant Pot and then doing the shrimp and grits prep and cooking, everything was done about the same time. This time I used more bacon fat than usual for the shrimp and grits! Tossed the shrimp with flour then quickly sautéed the mushrooms in bacon fat to brown on one side, flipped and then removed undercooked mushrooms to a bowl, topping with the sliced scallions. Next sautéed the bacon pieces, removed to the bowl with mushrooms. Then onion & garlic, removed to the bowl. And then, with more bacon fat added, sautéed the extra large shrimps on one side, flipped, and added the remaining ingredients along with a big squeeze of lemon juice and several shakes of hot sauce. Very quick! My notes on the top of your recipe are to have everything prepared - all ingredients and all side dishes for the dinner - before starting shrimp and grits.
Southern Style Cheesy Grits
In Pressure Cooker Cooking Pot
2 Tablespoons Bacon Grease Coconut or other oil
1 cup Stone Ground Grits (not Instant)
3 cups Fresh Water
1 1/2 cup Heavy Cream, Half and Half or Milk
4 ounces Cheddar Cheese
2-3 Tablespoons Butter
2 teaspoons Sea Salt
Butter to garnish
Single Serving Pot in Pot
1/4 cup Stone Ground Grits (not Instant)
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Heavy Cream, Half and Half or Milk
2 teaspoons Butter and/or Bacon Grease
1/2-1 ounce Cheddar Cheese or to taste
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 cup Water for Pressure Cooker cooking pot
Butter to garnish

Instructions
In Pressure Cooker Cooking Pot Method
Using the Sauté or Browning function, allow pot to heat and then add Bacon Grease, Butter or Oil.
Add Grits and toast for three minutes, stirring constantly.
Turn off Pressure Cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients.
Cook at High Pressure for 10 minutes. Allow a 15 minute natural release and then open pressure valve to release remaining pressure.
Single Serving Pot in Pot Method
Add all ingredients to an oven safe cooking bowl.
Add one cup of water to Pressure Cooker cooking pot.
Place low footed trivet in bottom of cooking pot. Place oven safe bowl with ingredients on top of trivet.
Cook at High Pressure for 10 minutes. When Beep sounds, allow a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release.

https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-southern-style-cheesy-grits/

https://nitrocdn.com/FSTpxSUAQmIcDbLAWfjwOakZpFHXpRpi/assets/static/source/rev-2c0f603/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/20160828_153840.jpg

Back