Peppermint Bark---Martha Stewart

angak

Really easy and pretty

Peppermint Bark

MAKES 36 PIECES

One (7.5-ounce) package hard peppermint candies, unwrapped

1 pound white chocolate, chopped (do not use chips)(**my note I used Vanilla Almond Bark and 1 cup of Ghiradelli chips.)

2 cups puffed rice cereal (rice krispies)

Nonstick cooking spray

1. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; line with waxed paper. Place candies in a doubled resealable plastic bag; seal, and wrap in a kitchen towel. Using a rolling pin or skillet, crush candies into tiny pieces.(I used a meat mallet, flat side, and it worked great) Sift to separate crushed candy from fine powder, reserving fine powder for another use; set crushed candy aside.

2. Place white chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in rice cereal. (I melted the bark in the microwave, and added the chips when the bark was almost melted, melting for about 20 seconds more and I added some of the mint "powder" to the melted chocolate with the rice)

3. Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet; using a spatula, spread evenly to a 1/4-inch thickness.

4. Sprinkle with crushed candy; with a piece of waxed paper covering entire surface, press in gently. Chill until firm, 20 to 30 minutes (no longer, as candy will begin to soften).

5. Peel waxed paper off. Break bark into 2-inch pieces. Store at room temperature in an airtight container up to 1 week.

Note: This recipe adapted from "Everyday Food" (December, 2005).

Back