Pizza strata

marilynfl

When at Mom's, it's a constant effort to use up leftovers in a way that She of the One Upper Denture can easily eat. During this visit my brother and his family were also staying and they are pizza fans. Thin crust, thick crust, Chicago-style, Detroit-style, Pittsburgh-style...any kind of pizza. This time they brought home sixteen 4" slices of a thick, foccacia-ish pizza. There were 6 slices left in the refrigerator when I was reading Melissa's Clark holiday strata recipe and thought: 'huh...why not?"

Waist Not, Want Not Pizza Strata

6 slices of thick pizza cut into 1" pieces (these already had tomato sauce, cheese and pepperoni, which I picked off)
8 eggs
3 C 2% milk
1 C heavy cream
2 10-oz packages of frozen turkey breakfast links (SIL doesn't eat red meat or pork)
8 oz of Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 oz of shredded parmesan/romano cheese
salt & pepper to season custard.

Cook and thinly slice the turkey sausage links.
Beat the eggs and milk, stir in heavy cream, taste for seasoning.
In a large bowl, pour custard over diced bread. Stir to moisten.
Stir in the sausage pieces, 3/4 of each cheese and pour into buttered 13" roaster pan.
Cover and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
On Christmas morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees, then bake covered strata for 40 minutes. Remove foil, add remaining cheeses and bake another 10 minutes until inserted knife comes out clean (custard is fully cooked).

Six of us had it for Christmas breakfast and the remainder was taken to the Christmas night game party where it was reheated. My brother keep saying to the other family members who were trying to determine the ingredients: "it's just leftover pizza!"

Marilyn's Note: Thin-crust pizza WILL NOT WORK for this recipe.
Also, any milk will work...I just used what I had. But heavy cream will definitely make it richer. It's a 2:1 ratio of eggs:liquid.

Last edited:
Sounds yummy, but I still am not sure what constitutes Pittsburgh pizza. Those in the link looked like sandwich based pizzas, but not sure.

It seems it is LOADED with cheese for one thing. And one indicated it was cooked in a rectangular pan but most of the others were rround. AND fresh tomatoes on top. Interesting. And maybe a really thick crust to support all the topping.

Back