Pork Chops in San Francisco Sauce

mariadnoca

Pork Chops in San Francisco Sauce

2 1-inch thick pork chops (with or without

bone)

1 clove garlic, crushed or minced

4 tbsp dry sherry or broth (I use Sherry)

4 tbsp soy sauce

2 tbsp brown sugar

2 tsp vegetable oil

dash Tabasco or other red pepper sauce

2 tbsp cold water

2 tsp cornstarch

Brown chops, remove from pan and add garlic. Cook just until soft. Add pork chops. Make sauce from sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil and red pepper sauce. Pour over chops. Cover and let simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes, until chops are done. Remove chops from the pan. Combine cornstarch and water and add to sauce. Cook until thickened.

Serve with rice, noodles, or couscous.

Serves 2. Note: original recipe called for 4 pork chops but I like to have the extra sauce.

Hi Michael, I found it very sweet and the second time I made it>

I used pork tenderloin and doubled the sauce and used a total of 2 T of the brown sugar and it was much better. To me, soy sauce was fine and used Dry Sack and red pepper flakes. I cut the tenderloin about 1 1/4 inches thick and browned very quickly and removed to prepare the sauce and

added meat back in and only cooked another 10 minutes. Also didn't use all the cornstarch mixture. Served over medium wide noodles, topped with green onions and it was fantastic. Using tenderloin makes all the difference.

Try it again with half the brown sugar (I used dark brown) and it really helps this dish.

bon appétit

nlb

Back