2 teaspoons nutmeg

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon ginger

1-3/4 teaspoons salt

1 29-ounce can solid-pack pumpkin

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Double recipe of Chocolate Glaze (recipe below)

Halloween sprinkles (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Beat oil and sugar in mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt together. Add to sugar mixture alternately with pumpkin, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by heaping tablespoonfulls onto greased cookie sheets (I prefer parchment paper). Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Top with Chocolate Glaze and Halloween sprinkles, if desired.

Note: leave enough room because these spread some. The recipe used to say drop by teaspoonfulls but I changed it to make big cookies. I am not sure if the yield is for the little ones or the big ones. When I make them again this fall I'll update that if it's not right. I'm embarrassed that I can't remember. (NOTE: Ang cleared this up for me: 36 big ones).

Chocolate Glaze

This shiny glaze is great for dressing up any cookie.

3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 tablespoon light corn syrup

3 tablespoons butter

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup in the top of a double boiler of hot (but not boiling) water. Stir until mixture is melted and smooth, then stir in vanilla. Spread over cookies and then top with sprinkles or nuts, if desired, or place in a zip-lock bag and snip off a tiny corner, then drizzle over cookies.

Note: Makes enough to glaze about 36 medium-sized cookies, or to drizzle over 3-4 times that many.

Mimi's Notes: (I wrote this review for this recipe in 2003 but I've been making the cookie for longer than that) I almost didn't make these, because I really don't like cookies that are of cake-like consistency. I thought I'd take a chance, though, because of all the great reviews. What finally decided me to make these cookies was simply the fact that I had no butter in the house, but I had oil, so this was about the only cookie I could make at the moment. Boy, am I glad! They were WONDERFUL! They have a nice, very most and soft cake-like consistency, not at all dry, and the pumpkin and spice flavor goes wonderfully with the chocolate chips. I had no walnuts in the house so I used 1-1/2 cups of chocolate chips instead (NB: I later changed the recipe to use more chocolate chips). The flavor of the cookies is wonderful, and there is nothing at all wrong with the texture. This is going to be a fall favorite in our house from now on (NB: that prediction came true!). My son, who usually gives most my cookies a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, gave these a 9.5!

AngAK's note: these are delicous without the glaze too!

Back