RECIPE: Rec: Apple and Onion Chutney and some of my fun with onions

RECIPE:

teapotter

Enthusiast Member
I had some fun in trying some different things with my big pile of onions. I have done two crockpots of carmelized onions, one with drizzles of balsamic vinegar and the other with drizzles of orange infused olive oil and there is a subtle difference in taste between the two batches. I like them both.

Also made two different recipes of chutneys with onions in them and have a couple more to try if I can get the ingredients I need.

This one is adapted from a recipe I found on the net which gave instructions for making the chutney by cooking the stuff in a microwave. I followed the spicing fairly closely (not exact)but used perhaps a little less prunes than they did and added a little more onion. Not sure that the tomato paste did anything for this and might not even be noticed if left out so I list it as optional. I used Gala apples but I think Granny Smiths would be excellent for this. The prune flavour is fairly evident in this so the quantity could probably be cut back a little but I liked it as is. The prunes probably add sweetness to this, so if you do cut them back you may want to add a wee bit more sugar depending on how sweet you like things. Here is my version of the recipe that can be found at the link.

Apple and Onion Chutney

2 c peeled diced cooking apples, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces

2 1/2 cups diced onion, about 1/2 inch pieces

1/2 cup diced red bell pepper, about 1/4 inch pieces

2 large cloves garlic, minced

3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar

3/4 c white vinegar

1/2 c water

1 cup quartered dried plums (prunes)

2 tsp ground ginger

2 tbsp yellow mustard seed

1 tbsp tomato paste, optional

1/2 tsp curry powder

generous pinch cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp sea salt

Place apples, onions, garlic, sugar, vinegar and water into a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes stirring as necessary. Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook till vegetables are tender and chutney thickens to the desired consistency. Pour into sterilized jars and store in the refrigerator or process in a canner.

http://www.food24.com/RecipeOpen/0,,D0475,00.html

Rec: Onion Chutney and a site with some good sounding onion recipes.

This is the other chutney I tried. This is a half recipe of the one found at the link. This one is closer to the original than the first one I posted. The original called for a thinly sliced lemon but I had no lemons so used just juice. I used Gala apples since thats what I had. The original called for tart apple. I found I needed some water in this and added about 1/2 cup to the half batch. A co-worker who taste tested the two chutneys for me said she liked both but said this one had less spicy bite and a definite citrus note so might be favoured by folks who aren't keen on things that are too spicy. I added the wine right near the end of the cooking when it was getting close to the consistency I liked.

The original for this came from the Idaho Eastern Oregon Onion website and they have lots of great sounding onion recipes so it is definitely worth checking out if you haven't come across that one before. You can find it through the link.

Onion Chutney

3 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups diced peeled apples
1 cup diced peeled firm pears
grated rind of 1 large orange
1 large orange, peeled and cut into large dice
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 large cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp dry mustard
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup water, if needed

Combine all the ingredients in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until it thickens to the desired consistency. Pour into sterilized jars and store in the refrigerator or process in a canner.

http://www.ieoonions.com/recipes/default.asp?cat=7&id=135

Back