REC BBQ Stuffed Pork Loin.....I was given a huge pork loin...about 100 feet long...well, at least

joanie

it was almost 2 feet long, excellent quality but I have met little success with loin in the past, so have put a good sized piece in the freezer and with the other I cut it in two....

One I marinated in Ketchap Manis, a sweet soya sauce rubbed the loin with minced ginger and garlic

the other I stuffed with a mix of bacon, onion, parsley and salt.

This I then wrapped very well in layers of tin foil having first soaked / added a cup of Monis sherry to the foil. This marinated for 5 hours and then both meats were cooked on the "braai" BBQ.

The one in foil was excellent, moist and pretty tender. We cooked this for an hour, indirect method.

The other piece we cooked directly over the coals and it took about 20 mins. It was fairly tender, very tasty but a little dryer.

Now, what to do with the remaining loin...I am not a fan of loin any suggestion?

Oh, I have jsut seen the posting at the top, will use Marg's prune stuffing for the next one.

i joanie. i've had a lot of luck...

uh... that shouldda been hi joanie

slicing the loin (assuming it's boneless) about 1-1/2 inches thing using a spice rub and broiling or grilling on the barbecue.

inside, i broil about 8-10" per side depending on the thickness. outside i grill just offheat and a bit longer. i like to leave the pork a little pinkish which satisfies the health gurus these days avd leaves it moister than well-done.

a rub i used the other day was 1/4 cup mild ground chile, 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa, and 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste) for 2 steaks. Ancho is widely available and works well. Penderie's has a wide choice and ships internationally. go for the chimayo. You;ll find a lot of use for it and a pound isn't the everlasting supply you might think. it's also available in smaller quantities.

http://www.penderys.com/

ideas on using the pork loin leftovers

I just made a pork loin this weekend using the "holy trinity" (olive oil, garlic, and rosemary--I make incisions, insert rosemary sprigs and garlic slivers, then put in a plastic bag with more garlic and olive oil, massage the meat to cover the surface, and leave to marinate for several hours). Also you mentioned your tenderloin being dry. I put my garlic and rosemary oil dripping loins on a rack and roast until a few degrees under 170 and remove them immediately. They get dry and tough when cooked longer than that. Anyway...

Thin slices of loin combined with a nice salad for lunch. Makes a great lunch to take to the office.

Make sandwiches with dried tomato basil pesto and mozzarello on crusty buns with avocado and sour cream--yum.

Put extra packages of sliced loin in the freezer to pull out to use for quick lunches, dinners, and sandwiches.

You can also grind it up like ham to make a sandwich spread with mayo and anything else that suits your fancy (dill pickle relish, onion, celery, carrot, etc.)

Cubed and added to a pot of chili really makes a hearty addition. This is usually the "last resort" for the yard long tenderloin leftovers, but it's really good and people always rave about the extra meatieness that the loin adds to the chili.

In my experience and opinion, if you dry roast a pork loin or

tenderloin (they are very different animals, by the way) past 145* with a rest period before cutting, you might as well serve cardboard. It will be overdone and dry--even the tenderloin.
The "yard long" pieces of pork are LOINS. Tenderloins are about a foot long and weigh about a pound each. They are very tender and don't really need brining. Pork loin is delicious done as a braise.

Gretchen, the tenderloin comes from the pork loin

Merle Ellis's "Cutting Up In The Kitchen" page 96 says:

"From the Loin comes the most tender morsels the pig has to offer. the Tenderloin comes from the Loin, Center-Cut Pork Chops come from the Loin, Crown Roasts, Butterfly Chops, Country-style Spare Ribs and dozens of other cuts are made from the Pork Loin."

Generally I dry-cook tenderloin or center cut pork loin on the grill or in the oven and have really good luck with it. The timing is very important and I leave the meat (shocking as it may seem to some) just a little pink. I also braise the loin sometimes and my favorite way to cook it is to roast it bone-in with sauerkraut.

Well, yes, of course it does but when you have a

recipe that says "pork loin" it means the large muscle of the pork "porterhouse" and the tenderloin comes from the small muscle. They are very different cuts of meat.
Pork is bred to be so lean now that the loin has very little character any more, and if overcooked (past pink), it tends to be dry. Tenderloin is better marbled and has more flavor, tenderness.
And it is certainly no longer shocking at all to cook pork pink, but there is still very much misunderstanding of this. So pork gets cooked to death.

This is/was deff. a LOIN not tenderloin (that's my fave piece of meat) and we like it just......

pink, marinaded in Ketchap Manis, the Dutch sweet soya sauce, and cooked over direct heat.
Loin I buy here from a shop called Cost-u-less is always dreadfully dissapointing (they have excellent meat otherwise) Never can I get it to be anything other than cardboard but this piece of loin came from a yacht provisioning butcher and of course there one buys in bulk and everything is always the best quality (has to be for the discerning charter guests and owners, I guess) anyway I am so impressed with this boneless loin that I am considering always buying a large piece for my household.
The pork done in foil and therefor sort of steamed in sherry was not pink as the bacon in the center had to be cooked but boy, oh boy, it was really good.
The other piece we BBQ'd over coals turned out just pink in the middle but I personally think my BBQ 'right-hand' (DH) had the coals a bit low (real charcoal) He refuses to use a themometer 'my right hand' does. I am just very happy that after 38 years of marriage he still likes to 'braai' (cook over fire) as he just can't fathom out the machinations of preparation of anything in the kitchen other than scrambled eggs and toast.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back