RECIPE: REC: Beef Wellington Tarts....I made these for Christmas Eve>>>

RECIPE:

susie-in-co

These are really easy to make and tasted great!

Beef Wellington Tarts

Yield: 30 Tarts

Tarts

4 ounces beef tenderloin, trimmed

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

½ teaspoon Dijon mustard

½ teaspoon lemon juice

½ teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Dash of cayenne pepper

Pinch of sugar

3 tablespoons butter

3 cups finely chopped mushrooms

1/4 cup minced shallots

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

2 (15 count) packages frozen miniature phyllo cups, thawed

3 tablespoons butter, melted

Béarnaise Sauce

2 egg yolks

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Pinch of salt

1/3 cup butter, melted

2 teaspoons finely minced fresh tarragon

For the tarts:

Cut the beef into 30 bite-size pieces and place in a shallow bowl. Combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, cayenne pepper and sugar in a small bowl and whisk until blended. Pour the mixture over the beef. Chill, covered, for 4 hours.

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft and the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Removed from the heat and let stand until cool.

Preheat the oven to 375° F. Drain the beef, discarding the marinade. Arrange the phyllo cups on a baking sheet. Brush the inside of the cups with 3 tablespoons melted butter. Place 1 piece of beef in each phyllo cup. Top each cup with a heaping teasppon of the mushroom mixture. (Tarts may be prepared until this point and frozen, tightly wrapped, for up to 2 weeks. Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking). Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and arrange on a serving platter.

For the Sauce:

Combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor or blender. Add the butter in a fine stream, processing constantly at high speed until thickened. Pour into a bowl and whisk in the tarragon. Drizzle the sauce over the tarts and serve immediately.

Source: Grand Temptations from the Junior League of Grand Rapids, MI

My notes: I'm not a big fan of those premade phyllo tart shells so I used puff pastry rounds pressed into mini-muffin pans. I baked them for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees until the pastry browned. Using puff pastry I had 24 tarts. These were a big hit and went very well with the champagne we were drinking to toast the holidays.

Wow. Susie, these sound wonderful! I have to do a party for the in-laws later this...

month smileys/frown.gif and I will be sure to tell them about these, which in turn I am sure they will ask me to make them!
Thanks for a great recipe!
marg

Your welcome Marg..these were really easy to put together>>>>

and as I recall, you seem to do the majority of the work at your in-laws parties smileys/smile.gif I tend to get that alot too. "Since you love to cook, would you mind putting a 5 course meal together" LOL!!

I think I will be making these and freezing to keep for last minute entertaining. I almost always have Proscuitto and Gruyere pinwheels from your recipe in the freezer and they always come in handy....they're a real favorite around here!

Good luck with the in laws party!

Susie

And they still think I can feed 30 people from appetizers to a full buffet dinner....

for $150.00!
I have to keep reminding them that 1965 was a long time ago!

Back