RECIPE: REC: Blackfoot Potato Soup

RECIPE:

dawn_mo

I made this for dinner the other night, and it was very good, and well-received. I sauteed the sausage, then the celery, onion, and added some carrot. Then I added two 17 ounce cans of chicken broth. I followed the recipe up to then but I did not remove the sausage, and finished it up with some milk and a few cubes of half and half. (I froze half and half in an ice cube tray and put them in a zip loc bag).It was very hearty and even my potato soup hating husband liked it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Blackfoot Potato Soup

Recipe By : James Laurence

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Soups And Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 lb bulk sausage (either hot or mild)1 C diced celery

1/2 C diced onion

2 T flour

14 oz chicken stock

1/2 cup water

4 C diced potatoes

1 C milk

1/2 lb green beans -- snapped

Blanch the green beans or cook to desired doneness. In a large sauce pan, break up and brown the sausage. Remove from the pan. Saute the onion and celery until tender, then add the flour and cook further for a minute or two. Add the stock and water, deglazing the pan, and heat to the boil. Add the potatoes and simmer, covered until tender, about 25 min. Puree 2 cups of the mixture, return to the pan, add the sausage, beans and milk and heat through.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi Dawn: Can I freeze (unwhipped) whipping cream in ice cube

trays like you did 1/2 and 1/2. I know you can freeze the cream whipped stiff but didn't think you could freeze it in trays. Everyone here,including me, dieting so I might have to throw some out. Will it still work in soups and sauces? Thanks.

I do not know why not. It worked great with half and half, I am ...

guessing it will be even better with whipping cream. I do not know if you will be able to whip it, but it should be fine to add to soups and sauces, etc. let us know how it works.

I've frozen whipping cream before and it was fine after defrosting for recipes --

I used the defrosted cream to make cream scones --but it wouldn't whip for me.

Back