RECIPE: REC: Chicken Shawarma. We love middle-eastern/Mediterranean food, and this recipe is delicious!

RECIPE:

michael-in-phoenix

Our favorite dive is in Los Angeles, near Fullerton. It's called "Pita Hot" and it serves heaps of Chicken Shawarma along with all the sides that typically go with it (hummus, tabbouleh, babaganoush, and toasted pita).

This recipe came from The NYT. The only changes I made, besides simplifying the instructions, is to add an extra pound of chicken and more onions.

Family says it is just as good as Pita Hot!

Chicken Shawarma (Oven Roasted)

Adapted fr. NYT Cooking

2 lemons, juiced

1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil

6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed, minced

1 tsp. kosher salt

2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

2 tsp. ground cumin

2 tsp. paprika

1/2 tsp. turmeric

Pinch of cinnamon

Red pepper flakes, to taste

3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and gristle

2 large red onions, peeled and quartered

2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Prepare marinade for the chicken: Whisk together first 10 ingredients, lemon juice to red pepper flakes and combine with chicken in a large bowl or gallon-size plastic bag.

Store in fridge for at least 3 hours, or up to 12 hours.

To cook: Heat oven to 425º F. Use a half-sheet pan with a shallow rim and grease with 1 Tbsp. olive oil.

Add the red onions to the marinating chicken and toss to coat onions. Spread chicken and onions on the pan and spread evenly.

Roast for 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and beginning to brown at the edges. Remove from oven.

With tongs, move hot chicken pieces to cutting board and slice into 1/4 inch slices, or into bits, if you prefer. You can serve at this point, OR:

Optional, but good: Add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil to a skillet and heat to smoking point. Add chicken and sauté until chicken begins to crisp.

Scatter parsley over the top and serve with grilled pita bread, tomatoes, cucumbers, white sauce, garlic sauce, feta, rice, fried eggplant…. Pretty much anything you like!

Enjoy!

Michael

my daughter loves this recipe from the Times. I haven't tried it but I did buy some at Trader

Joes the other day. I enjoyed it. It's not frozen but rather in the section with the fresh chicken.

Made it last night. Delicious as promised, Michael

I agree with the more chicken and onions. It was really good.

In the spirit of using stuff I had I made the recipe as posted but had bone-in thighs that I left whole after roasting. I had some chopped Romaine lettuce that I tossed with a combo of some creamy Italian-style dressing mixed with chopped Kalamatas and chopped Pepperoncini. I served the whole thighs on it. I did make some pitas .

Will make the Shawarma again!

I do have the recipe saved in my CopyMeThat files but have yet to try it.

I may need to do that soon.

Let us know how it works for you.

Back