RECIPE: Rec: Chicken Skewers w/ Lemon Mint Vinaigrette (great site!)

RECIPE:

annnova

Thanks to Mimi for creating this great recipe swap site and to LisainLA for helping me get here (from the former Gail's). Here's a recipe that I love to make tho' I don't use skewers and I sub chicken breasts for the thighs.

Chicken Skewers w/ Lemon Mint Vinaigrette

1 Tbsp hot paprika

1-1/2 tsps minced garlic, divided

½ tsp dried oregano

½ tsp ground cumin

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

salt and freshly ground pepper

Vinaigrette:

2 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley

2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint

2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

2 tsps grated lemon zest

1/8 tsp cayenne

½ cup extra virgin olive oil

2 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs (or breasts) cut into 1-½" pieces

1 large red onion sliced crosswise ½" thick

8 cups loosely packed washed arugula or spinach

Lemon wedges, for serving

Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a small bowl mix paprika with 1 tsp of the garlic, the oregano and cumin. Whisk in 1/3 cup olive oil and season the paprika oil with salt and pepper.

In another small bowl combine parsley, mint, lemon juice, lemon zest, cayenne, and the remaining ½ tsp of garlic. Whisk in the ½ cup of olive oil and season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.

Thread chicken on 6 skewers. Brush chicken and onion with paprika oil and arrange on grill. Cook onions 4 minutes, turning once until they are slightly softened. Grill chicken for 12 minutes turning occasionally until cooked through.

Arrange arrugula on platter. Spread onions and chicken on top, drizzle with vinaigrette and serve with lemon wedges. 6 servings

source: Food & Wine March 2004

I used regular paprika & sprinkled in a bit of cayenne. I cut chicken breasts in thirds, marinated them in the paprika oil for a few hours and grilled them with the onion slices in a grill "basket" (easier & less messy than skewers), then placed them on arugula with lemon wedges placed around the platter. I've also added sprigs of mint as a garnish. This recipe is excellent…can be prepped ahead, great for company.

Back