RECIPE: REC: Chicken with Endive, Radicchio and Balsamic Vinegar Glaze

RECIPE:

joe

I made this for the first time last night and it was delicious and easy. The store was out of radicchio, so I used extra endive--could have used the color. Very healthy, though we also had a buttery potato and onion gratin that I'll post next.

from Bon Appétit, April 1996:

"CHICKEN WITH ENDIVE, RADICCHIO AND BALSAMIC VINEGAR GLAZE

Easy to prepare and impressive to serve, this dish is perfect for an impromptu week-night dinner party.

3 tablespoons olive oil

4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves

1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, separated into rings

1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried

6 medium-size heads Belgian endive, trimmed, halved lengthwise

1 medium-size head radicchio, cut into 8 wedges

1 tablespoon dark brown sugar

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

Chopped fresh parsley

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to skillet; sauté until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to platter (do not clean skillet). Tent chicken with foil.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and oregano; sauté until onion softens, about 10 minutes. Using tongs, transfer onion to plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add endive to skillet and sauté until beginning to brown, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add radicchio. Cover skillet and cook until radicchio begins to brown and endive softens, about 5 minutes. Return onion to skillet. Sprinkle vegetables with sugar. Stir until sugar melts, about 1 minute. Transfer vegetables to plate.

Add vinegar to skillet; boil until slightly thickened, scraping up any browned bits, about 2 minutes. Add chicken to skillet; turn to coat with glaze. Arrange chicken on platter. Arrange vegetables around chicken. Drizzle remaining glaze from skillet over vegetables. Top with parsley.

Serves 4."

REC: Lyonnaise Potato

That should be "Lyonnaise Potato Galette"

GALLETTE LYONNAISE

from Patricia Wells' Bistro Cooking:

"The bistros of Lyons are a potato lover's paradise. This version, typical of the simple potato and onion mixtures typically served with roast meats or steak, is quick and easy to prepare. I think of this dish as "smashed" potatoes, for that's just what they are!

2 pounds (1 kg) baking potatoes, such as russets
2 medium onions
6 tablespoons (3 oz., 90 g.) unsalted butter
Freshly ground nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Peel the potatoes. Boil or steam until tender and mashable. Drain. Let the potatoes rest for a few minutes. Coarsely mash with a fork, leaving a few irregular chunks.

2. Preheat the broiler

3. Halve the onions lengthwise, cut each half into thin half-moon rounds

4. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons (30 g.) of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until soft and golden, about 10 minutes.

5. Add 2 tablespoons (30 g.) more of the butter and melt. Add the potatoes, season generously with nutmeg, salt and pepper, and cook, tossing the mixture about 2 or 3 minutes.

6. Transfer the mixture to a gratin dish. Smooth with the back of a large spoon, then dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Brown briefly under the broiler. Serve immediately.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Both recipes sound terrific Joe--especially like the play of bitter, sour & sweet in the chicken

I will try the chicken- it does sound good. I'm with Charlie- I like bitter, sour and sweet together

Trying this tonight Joe....maybe with grilled polenta..have to see what the taste buds.....

want (or dont want, more to the point at the mo) when I get into the kitchen tonight...I really am trying NOT to have carbs, it's hard cooking for others BUT I have lost 8LBs this last week so trying to hang in there.
hugs j

Congratulations on the weight loss, Joanie >>

I don't want to weaken your resolve, but I think the polenta would be a delicious accompaniment.

Okay, so I ate till I'm popping...

and I ate the polenta...I'll have to go full ball with no/low carbs if poss. again this week.
Boy was that scrummy..

I was awfully lazy with the plating, didn't look so inviting (well, I tried not to make it so great looking) a heap of lushiously sauced veg and two lumps of unadorned thigh blimps and a wedge of browned something...darn, it was good!

I did use chicken breast as well as some thighs, am I glad I did as the breasts were so tough I couldn't even fork pull them for the cat!
These breasts must have been locally raised. They were in the fresh meat section and looked good but a total dissapointment, tough as ol' boots.
Oh well, my Mum and DH and I finished up a huge serving each. I'll do this again for a dinner for the whole family soon.

LOL, sorry to corrupt you, but I'm glad you enjoyed it all >>

Is it possible you overcooked the breasts?--they can get overdone so fast when they're skinless/boneless.

Here I have the opposite problem. Chickens have gotten so HUGE in the last few years that the timing for recipes is way off. They can take forever to cook through. I buy the ones that aren't fed hormones or antibiotics, but boy they're sure feeding those birds something!

I think that if you add enough butter and cheese to polenta it turns into a protein, right? JUST KIDDING! I'm sure one evening off the regimen won't undo all your hard work if you get back at it.

Back