RECIPE: Rec: Crispy Pork with Avocado Salsa and Tomato Salsa

RECIPE:

curious1

Way too long ago, I bought a piece of something labeled 'pork loin back ribs boneless'. It was almost 4 lbs, so cut it in half and stuck it in my freezer. Then I didn't know what to do with it. Yesterday I researched and found this recipe on Epi. I was afraid my meat was too lean, but there was enough marbling that it fried up nicely at the end. It was very flavorful and tender. I didn't have tomatillos or that much cilantro on hand, so made my own Guac and fresh tomato salsa recipes and served the meat in hot flour tortillas piled with the guac and salsa with pinto beans on the side. We thought it was delicious and really loved this oh-so-easy pork recipe. Change I made was to halve the recipe and cook it in a 300 degree oven instead of on the cook-top, but I did the boiling down and frying on a burner. Next time I might make my own tortillas, but there was a limit to my ambition on a Sunday afternoon.

CRISPY PORK WITH AVOCADO SALSA AND TOMATO SALSA

Carnitas con Salsa de Aguacate y Salsa Mexicana

In Uruapan and other parts of Michoacán, large copper cauldrons made in Santa Clara del Cobre are used to fry delicious carnitas in pork lard. This recipe has been adapted for the home cook: Meaty pork ribs are boiled, then fried in their own fat until browned. Use either purchased fresh tomato salsa or Tomato, Onion, and Serrano Chile Salsa. Accompany the carnitas with Classic Red Rice and beans.

4 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs

2 cups (or more) water

1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice

6 garlic cloves, peeled

2 teaspoons fine sea salt

1 teaspoon grated orange peel

1/4 cup brandy

Warm corn tortillas

Avocado Salsa (recipe follows)

Fresh tomato salsa or Tomato, Onion and Serrano Chile Salsa (recipe follows)

Cut pork pieces crosswise into thirds. Cut off any big chunks of fat from pork and reserve; leave small pieces of fat attached to pork. Combine pork, reserved fat, 2 cups water, and next 4 ingredients in deep 12-inch skillet. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until pork is tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 45 minutes, adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls if necessary to keep pork partially submerged.

Uncover; boil pork mixture until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Stir in brandy; boil until liquid evaporates and meat browns and begins to get crisp, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Cool meat slightly. Discard any loose pieces of fat. Tear meat into strips; return to skillet. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)

Add 2 tablespoons water to skillet. Cover and rewarm pork over medium-low heat, stirring, about 5 minutes. Season with more salt, if desired. Transfer to bowl. Serve with warm tortillas, Avocado Salsa, and tomato salsa.

Makes 8 servings.

Bon Appétit

May 2003

AVOCADO SALSA

This recipe is an accompaniment for Crispy Pork with Avocado Salsa and Tomato Salsa.

3 large ripe avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, coarsely chopped

8 ounces fresh tomatillos, husked, rinsed, coarsely chopped

2 serrano chiles, seeded, coarsely chopped

2 tablespoons chopped white onion

2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

Combine all ingredients in processor. Using on/off turns, process until chunky puree forms. Transfer to medium bowl. Season with salt. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of salsa and chill.)

Makes about 2 3/4 cups.

Bon Appétit

May 2003

TOMATO, ONION, AND SERRANO CHILE SALSA

Salsa Mexicana

Variations of this fresh tomato-based salsa show up on restaurant tables all over Mexico, where it is called pico de gallo, salsa fresca, or salsa mexicana. The bright flavor of the salsa adds sparkle to anything it touches — quesadillas; grilled chicken, fish or steak; tamales; tacos; and, of course, tortilla chips.

This recipe is an accompaniment for Crispy Pork with Avocado Salsa and Tomato Salsa.

1 1/4 pounds plum tomatoes, cut in half

1/3 cup chopped red onion

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 serrano chiles, coarsely chopped

1 teaspoon salt

Pinch of freshly ground black pepper

1 cup (loosely packed) coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

Seed and dice 10 tomato halves; transfer to large bowl. Place remaining tomatoes in blender; add onion, lime juice, chiles, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. Add cilantro. Pulse just to mix in cilantro. Pour tomato puree into bowl with diced tomatoes. Stir to blend. Season salsa to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Makes about 2 cups.

Bon Appétit

May 2003

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108049

Back