RECIPE: REC: Delicious, Moist Cornbread

RECIPE:
Oh goodness. I don't know what recipe it was - I'm so sorry! I think it might be this however I have no idea when it says 'see Tips above'. Below is all I have.......

Honey Cornbread Recipe adapted from Cooks Country, Aug/Sept. 2012

Important note. The recipe below is for an 8" x 8" pan. If you are making the appetizer as above, refer to Key to Success #1 above and cook in a 9" x 13" pan - reduce your baking time too.

• 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2/3 cup honey
  • 2 large eggs
  • 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8" square baking pan. Whisk buttermilk, honey, eggs and butter together in a bowl until thoroughly combined and no streaks of honey remain.

Whisk buttermilk into honey mixture. Once combined, add flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix well until thoroughly combined. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool in pan for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve.

Could you post this again, Deb?
Here it is via the way back machine.

My mother, who is a fabulous cook, has been making this recipe for years. And so have I. It is so much moister than the cornbreads I’ve had when eating in restaurants – the latter always seem to disappoint. But this moist cornbread recipe won’t. It only takes minutes to mix and no need for beaters or a stand mixer; simply mix by hand.

This recipe easily doubles. If you decide to make a double batch, bake it in a 9″ x 13″ baking pan. You can even freeze the left overs!

Delicious, Moist Cornbread

Makes one 11″ x 7″ pan of cornbread

• 1 (8.5 oz) pkg. corn muffin mix (I use Jiffy)
  • 1 (8 oz) can of cream style corn, (drain partially but leave some liquid)
  • 1 (8 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (8 oz) container sour cream
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (I prefer unsalted)
  • 2 large eggs
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Stir together all ingredients and pour mixture into a greased 11″ x 7″ baking dish. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until top is lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  3. Serve and enjoy! (I told you it was easy!)

The Jiffy mix cornbread even just mixed up is really good IME but probably not in the opinion of Southerners who won't let a spoonful of sugar adulterate (ITO) a piece of cornbread!! But Maria's recipe is really good--I bake it in an 8X8 or 9X9 which is about the same size as her dimension.
What appetizer would cornbread be in? Interesting.

Back