Recipe courtesy of Corinne Domingo

Yield: Serves 6-8.

4-5 lbs. chicken thighs

½ cup white vinegar

½ cup soy sauce

4 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tsp. black peppercorns

3 bay leaves

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Cover and marinate chicken for 1-3 hours. Bring to boil, then lower heat. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and simmer until sauce is reduced and thickened, and chicken is tender, about 20 more minutes. Serve with steamed rice.

as to lo-cal - please note this depends on chicken parts used...

I find that if I use thighs and/or legs (alone or with breasts) then I get "lots" of fat that I then have to skim off (easier if i had gravy seperator smileys/smile.gif). When i use breasts alone, however, I get almost no fat in sauce.

uiguy

You have a lot of fat even if you remove the skin from the thighs?

I've made this adobo a few times now and I always remove the skin from the thighs/drums and have never had a problem.

i leave skin on during cooking and take off after.

I think it gives a moister final product. Fat seems to stay with the sauce and it fairly easy to skim off. But your right, it you dont cook with skin on there will be let or no fat cause most of chicken fat is in the skin.

I'd like to try this with the fish sauce also. Bought fish sauce

over six months ago and forgot what I was going to use it for.

REC:Thai Glazed Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Another use for fish sauce. Very easy and tasty.

Thai Glazed Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Yield: 4 servings

1 lb. thin cut chicken breast meat,

Montreal Seasoning by McCormick

2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan

2 tablespoons minced ginger root

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 large red bell pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced

1 cup packaged shredded cabbage and carrot mix

3 scallions, chopped on an angle

½ cup plum sauce

2 cups basil leaves, loosely packed

1 tablespoon fish sauce

½ head iceberg lettuce, cut into half again

½ seedless cucumber, chopped

Thinly slice the chicken into strips and sprinkle with grill seasoning.

Heat a large skillet to screaming hot. Add vegetable oil, then chicken. Cook chicken 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the ginger, garlic, peppers, cabbage and carrot mix and scallions and stir-fry another 2 minutes. Add plum sauce to glaze the mixture, toss 1 minute, then add basil and wilt leaves. Add fish sauce and turn to coat. Transfer cooked chicken and vegetables to a bowl. Place spoonfuls of chicken into a piece of lettuce with cucumber and fold lettuce over to eat, like small tacos.

Hi Eleanor - did you see my recipe for Caesar Salad dressing with fish sauce?

I posted this at post #253. It uses fish sauce instead of the anchovies! I really liked it a lot,and it's pretty close to the real thing.

Rather than whisking all the ingredients together, I just threw it all into a blender and whizzed it. (I did press the garlic clove with a garlic press before putting it into the blender.)

Shortcut Caesar Salad
This makes a main-course lunch salad or a small dinner salad.

16 baguette slices, about 1/3-inch thick
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup prepared mayonnaise
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce, or more to taste
1 small garlic clove, minced to a paste
Freshly ground black pepper

1 pound hearts of romaine, in bite-size pieces
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 400°. Brush the baguette slices with olive oil on both sides, then cut each slice in half to make half-rounds. Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Put the mayonnaise in a small bowl and slowly whisk in the olive oil, lemon juice, fish sauce and garlic. Add several grinds of black pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Toss the romaine with enough of the dressing to coat the leaves nicely. Add the Parmesan and croutons and toss again. Serve immediately.

Serves 2 to 4

PER SERVING: 255 calories, 5 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 24 g fat (4 g saturated), 11 mg cholesterol, 724 mg sodium, 2 g fiber.

Adobo-Filipino Spiced Meat

1-lb pork steaks or chicken or mixture, cut into strips or small stew-sized pieces. I throw in the pork bones because cooking with vinegar will leach out some of the calcium-a bonus!)
1 clove garlic, pounded or minced
Soy sauce to taste
salt & pepper to taste
patis (filipino fish sauce or any really) to taste
1 bay leaf
1/2 cider vinegar
1-2 cups water ( I use the lesser if meat is lean & small pieces, because you cook it off)

Mix all ingredients & pour over meat. Cover in wide sauce pan & cook gently until meat is tender & most of broth has evaporated (you may have to off-set the lid) and only 1/3 cup or so remains. Remove cover & over med heat fry meat until browned ( I think this only would work on pork) After frying, put some water mixed with a bit of cornstarch & make a sauce to go over the meat & rice. Serve over or with rice.
This is pretty much low calorie, but tasty.

My father-in-law, who is an excellent cook (and happens to be Filipino as well) adds...(m)

two or three tablespoons of store-bought barbeque sauce to his adobo. Any tomato-based, smokey barbeque sauce will do.

It should be little enough to act as a background flavor. In fact, my wife finally asked her Dad why his adobo tastes so much better than any of the other adobo made by relatives. This was his answer. It was not detectable, but added a dimension that was clearly distinct.

He doesn't use a 'recipe', but cooks from experience. I'm sure his dish is much like this one. Most cooks use similar recipes.

I love Filipino adobo. It's one of my favorite dishes from my wife's side of the family.

Michael

Michael, I'm defnitely going to try that in my next Pork Adobo!! Either bbq sauce or fish sauce...?

Decisions, decisions! Maybe I should make one pot of pork adobo with bbq sauce, and one pot of chicken adobo with fish sauce....

I think you posted that tip once before and I forgot about it (it sounds vaguely familiar). I better remember it this time, and make some this week!

Seems like a lot of the Filipino men are wonderful cooks. I try to pry recipes out of my Filipino girlfriends, but when I do, the dish never comes out.

However, it does work when I talk to their hubbies, who always have a little secret!!!

One guy I knew put shredded fresh basil in his chicken adobo, and it was really good smileys/smile.gif

p.s. Got any good recipes from your FIL for pancit? I love the skinny noodles (bihon, I think), with a squeeze of kalamansi lime - YUM!

Sandi, my fil is hard to pin down for recipes, because everything is done...

...from habit and memory. It you're not standing right there with him in the kitchen, you won't get the 'scoop'.

His pancit is wonderful, but neither my wife nor I can reproduce it in our kitchen. I'll have to watch him next time he makes it.

A lot of the filipino men became cooks when they joined the US Navy. In fact, my fil was a Navy cook for 20 years. He told me the filipino men usually ended up cooking for the Captain of the ship, and the other high-ranking officers, while the guys with other ethnic backgrounds cooked for the rest of the crew. The officers knew these guys could cook well, so they snapped them up right away and gave them special duty to the officers mess (galley?).

Michael

Oh well, Michael - I thought so. It seems that's how they cook too - no measurements, no recipe...

It reminds me ofs an interesting series of cooking articles in the San Francisco Chronicle, called rent-a-grandma, or something like that.

The premise is that an older person of a certain heritage teaches a younger person, looking to cook a certain ethnic food.

The newspaper matches them up, and follows them along for a day of shopping, and cooking.

It makes for wonderful stories, and really, sometimes, it's the best way to learn cooking!

I'll go look for some of the articles, and link them up later...

Back