RECIPE: REC: Gingery Cider Glaze for Salmon

RECIPE:

deb-in-mi

This is a recipe that I bastardized from CI. Basically they wanted you to quickly brine the salmon first but we felt that it was too salty that way. But the glaze was good!

• 1/3 apple cider
  • 3 Tbsp cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 4 tsp soy sauce
  • 1.5 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1 (1 inch) piece ginger, peeled and lightly smashed (note: I chop it up and add it with the other ingredients

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and stir until no lumps remain. Add ginger and bring to a simmer over med-high heat, stirring frequently. Continue to cook, stirrings frequently, until thickened, about 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Discard ginger just before using.

I top salmon with this and then broil it.

We have lots of salmon around here. (maybe less this year since thousands of spawning hopeful salmon died in the drought). I use the glaze from the 1997 cedar plank recipe, similar, and I've been making it since it was published. Way back in the days when you had to go to a Home Depot to get a piece of untreated cedar cut for cooking. But yours sounds so easy. I do like salmon, sickeye, but for me it needs something. --- another typo, that was sockeye

1 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
an untreated cedar plank (about 17 by 10 1/2 inches; if desired
a 2 1/2-pound center-cut salmon fillet with skin
greens from 1 bunch scallions

Accompaniment: Mustard Mashed Potatoes (using grainy Maille Dijon)

In a small heavy saucepan simmer maple syrup, gingerroot, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste until reduced to about 1 cup, about 30 minutes, and let cool. (Maple glaze may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring maple glaze to room temperature before proceeding.)

We have lots of salmon around here. (maybe less this year since thousands of spawning hopeful salmon died in the drought). I use the glaze from the 1997 cedar plank recipe, similar, and I've been making it since it was published. Way back in the days when you had to go to a Home Depot to get a piece of untreated cedar cut for cooking. But yours sounds so easy. I do like salmon, sickeye, but for me it needs something. --- another typo, that was sockeye

1 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
an untreated cedar plank (about 17 by 10 1/2 inches; if desired
a 2 1/2-pound center-cut salmon fillet with skin
greens from 1 bunch scallions

Accompaniment: Mustard Mashed Potatoes (using grainy Maille Dijon)

In a small heavy saucepan simmer maple syrup, gingerroot, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste until reduced to about 1 cup, about 30 minutes, and let cool. (Maple glaze may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring maple glaze to room temperature before proceeding.)
Sounds delish!

Back