RECIPE: REC: Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta

RECIPE:

wigs

Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes & Feta

By Jennifer Segal, adapted from Betsy Goldstein's recipe

One of my go-to weeknight dinners: Greek shrimp nestled in a spiced tomato sauce, topped with chunks of feta, and then baked until golden.

I tried this for the first time over 4th of July weekend, and it is a keeper! View original recipe with picture at: https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/greek-shrimp-tomatoes-feta.html Wigs

Servings: 4

Prep Time: 10 Minutes

Cook Time: 40 Minutes

Total Time: 50 Minutes

INGREDIENTS

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil3/4 cup finely chopped shallots, from about 3 shallots

4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped (I minced. wigs)

1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes (I used a 35-oz can of CENTO Italian Style whole tomatoes that I pulsed a couple times in the Cuisinart before using. wigs)

1-1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (use less if you are heat-sensitive--Jenn Segal)

1 tablespoon honey

1-1/2 pounds extra large shrimp (26/30), peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen

6 ounces feta cheese (I used a 7-oz block & crumbled myself. wigs)

3/4 teaspoon dried oregano

2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 400°F; set one oven rack in the middle position and another about 5 inches underneath the broiler. Heat the olive oil in a wide oven-proof skillet (see note) over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not brown.Add the tomatoes with their juices, salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, and honey. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.Off the heat, arrange the shrimp over the tomato sauce in an even layer. Crumble the feta over the shrimp, and then sprinkle with the oregano. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and just cooked (the cooking time will depend on the size of the shrimp). Turn on the broiler. Using an oven mitt, carefully transfer the pan to the higher oven rack and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the feta is golden brown in spots. Using an oven mitt, remove the pan from the oven (and immediately place the oven mitt or a dishtowel over the handle of the pan because it's very easy to forget that it is burning hot). Let the shrimp rest for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with mint and serve.

Note: If you do not have an oven-proof skillet, simply transfer the tomato sauce to a 9-by-13-inch or equivalent broiler-safe baking dish and proceed from there.

PAIR WITH Crusty Artisan Bread

To go with the Greek Shrimp above, I served this Couscous recipe which was a great accompaniment. wigs ==>

How to Cook Couscous -- There are lots of tips and information plus great pics and a video at https://www.themediterraneandish.com/how-to-cook-couscous/

by Suzy Karadsheh

Learn how to cook couscous perfectly every time! It takes just 15 minutes and a handful of ingredients. This quick couscous recipe is a great side next to your favorite protein, or use it as a bed for a tasty stew.

As much as couscous looks and acts like a grain, this North African ingredient is actually more of a pasta made with semolina flour from crushed durum wheat.

There are a few types of couscous, including pearl couscous (also known as Israeli couscous), which I use in an awesome couscous salad. But today for this side recipe, we're talking about Moroccan instant couscous. It's the smallest size couscous made of fine granules. And because it's been already steamed and dried for us, this couscous requires very little effort to prepare and can be ready in the blink of an eye.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup low-sodium broth or water (I used chicken broth. wigs)

https://shop.themediterraneandish.com/product-category/olive-oil/Extra virgin olive oil

Kosher Salt

1 cup dry instant couscous

To Flavor (optional)--Add a pinch of cumin or spice of your choice (I used the cumin. wigs)

1 to 2 garlic clove minced and sauteed in extra virgin olive oil

2 green onions chopped (I sauteed along w/ the minced garlic. wigs)

Fresh herbs to your liking--Suzy used Italian parsley and dill so I also added some chopped Italian parsley and chopped fresh dill. wigs

See NOTE below for a couple more ingredient additions of red bell pepper & zucchini. wigs

INSTRUCTIONS

In a saucepan, add broth or water. Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a boil.

Now, toast the couscous. In a non-stick skillet or pan, heat about 1 to 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Add the couscous and toss around with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until golden brown. This is an optional step but can really adds a great nutty flavor. (I toasted the couscous. wigs)

Stir couscous into the boiled liquid quickly and immediately turn the heat off. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes or until couscous has completely absorbed the broth or water.

Uncover and fluff with a fork.

Suzy suggests the following (which I also did. wigs): You can serve couscous plain, or mix in spices and herbs to give it more flavor. If you like, add in a pinch of cumin, sautéed garlic, chopped green onions, and fresh herbs of your choice. Enjoy!

NOTE: At Suzy's additional suggestion I folded in strips of sauteed red bell peppers and zucchini just before serving. wigs ==>

From Suzy: And if you're looking for something more, you can dice or chop up some veggies (I like red bell peppers and zucchini) and sauté them in olive oil and then toss them in with your herbed couscous!

Made this last night and I couldn't detect the cumin that much. My spice maybe getting old or I would prefer to add more. I may try cinnamon instead next time. Crusty bread from a local artisan and a glass of red.

Cinnamon would certainly make it "Greek" and could be interesting. I like what smoked paprika does if not overdone and in this case would try the sweet smoked.

Back