6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, sliced

500g Italian '00' flour

1 tsp fine sea salt

1½ tsp fast-action yeast

350ml tepid water

1 tsp coarse sea salt

Instructions

Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a small pan over a medium-low heat and gently sauté the onion until very soft and golden.

Mix the flour, fine salt and yeast in a bowl. Stir in the water to form a soft dough. Turn out on to a floured board and knead for 5 minutes or till smooth. Flatten the dough, make dents with your fingers and add 2 tbsp olive oil. Gently knead in. Flatten the dough again and add the onions with their oil. Immediately fold over the dough and knead until the onions are distributed and the dough feels supple (about 2 minutes). Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a large bowl and tip in the dough, making sure it's coated in the oil. Cover and leave in a warm place for 2 hours or until doubled in size.

Turn out the dough and knock it back. Shape into a flat disc about 4cm deep and place on an oiled baking sheet. Cover and leave to rise for an hour or till spongy and soft. Preheat the oven to its highest setting.

Mix 1 tbsp oil with ½ tsp water. Make indentations in the dough with your fingers. Brush with the oil and water, and sprinkle with the salt. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. The base should sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a rack before slicing.

(This recipe was first published on Waitrose.com in January 2004.)

Great! I forgot that the Italian 00 flour might need an explanation. Thanks Marilyn smileys/smile.gif (NT)

Eva, you are an icon in our kitchen. When Lar and I run into each

other while cooking, one or the other soon says..."well, that wouldn't happen if we had 30 linear feet of counter space!"

Some girls dream of marrying princes. I dream about having your counterspace.

*LOL* I have never been an icon before smileys/smile.gif (more)

I have to admit I love my new kitchen but recently I haven't had time too cook. I really miss it!
But I will get more time now when we finally get everything done and let me tell you, I'd gladly give away feet of counter space to get your cooking skills. I always read your posts smileys/smile.gif

Back