REC Lentil Sausage Escarole Soup

suz

Lentil Sausage Escarole Soup

1 2/3 cups lentils -- (11 ounces) rinsed well (I used 1C)

5 cups water -- (I used 2 C)

3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth -- (I used 2 C)

1 bay leaf -- Turkish, or 1/2 California bay leaf

4 garlic cloves -- finely chopped, divided

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 pound Italian sausage links -- sweet, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used 2 large Spicy Itallian Sausage I took the sausage out of the casing and made med/small crumble)

1 medium onion -- finely chopped

2 medium carrots -- finely chopped

2 celery ribs -- finely chopped (I used half a lg fennel didn't use celery)

2 tablespoons tomato paste -- ( I used 1 T)

1/2 pound escarole -- chopped (4 cups packed)

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar -- (1 to 2)

Accompaniment:

croutons

Simmer lentils, water, broth, bay leaf, and half of garlic in a 4-quart pot, uncovered, 12 minutes. (this can be an unnecessary step) Just add all of this after sauteing veggies

Meanwhile, heat oil in a wide heavy 5- to 6-quart pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown sausage, about 7 minutes. Transfer sausage with a slotted spoon to a bowl.

Reduce heat to medium and cook onion, carrots, celery, remaining garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add sausage and lentils with cooking liquid and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. ( I cook french lentils total 30 min)

Stir in escarole and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar to taste and season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf.

NOTES : I add vinegar to the individual bowls as I serve

I also use parmesean cheese sprinkled on top

Back