12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup confectioners' sugar

Grated zest of 2 limes

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar until fluffy. Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add to butter mixture and beat on low speed until combined.

Roll dough into two 1 1/4-inch-diameter logs. Chill at least 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment, then place remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Remove parchment from logs; slice dough into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.

Bake cookies until just golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag and toss to coat.

Quad L Chocolate Layer Bars

The Quad L was a beautiful country gift shop near Ellwood City, PA, owned by our best friends Jody and Dave Lower. Sadly, Jody passed away last year from cancer...she always had these at her holiday open house parties. I've made these omitting the walnuts, and using mint or raspberry chocolate chips...equally delicious!

Quad L Chocolate Layer Bars

1 12-oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate chips
3-3 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 small can (about 5.3 oz.) evaporated milk
1 c. finely chopped walnuts (opt.)
1/2 tsp. almond extract
3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 c. soft butter or oleo

Combine chips, cream cheeese and milk in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until chips melt and mixture is smooth. (Or use
microwave.) Remove from heat, stir in extract, let cool before adding nuts. Set aside.

Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl, blending well until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press half of mixture into greased
13x9" pan. Spread chocolate mixture over this. Sprinkle remaining crumbs over. Bake at 375 for 35-40 min, or until golden brown. Cool, cut into bars, makes about 3 doz. Can also be made with mint chocolate chips (substitute vanilla for almond), milk chocolate chips (good with orange flavoring and no nuts), or butterscotch chips, with drizzled melted chocolate on top after baking.

Mocha Mountains

My favorite...have made this with flavored chips (like raspberry) - omit the coffee powder if you do that. The name is a joke because they are rather flat - and you can't quit eating them...

Mocha Mountains

4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 stick unsalted butter, cut in bits
3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 T. instant espresso powder
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla

In a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt chocolate, 1 1/2 c. chips and butter, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from heat. (Or melt in microwave, being careful to not over cook.)

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale, beat in espresso powder and vanilla. Add cooled chocolate, mixing well. Fold chocolate mixture into flour, stir in remaining chips. Let batter stand for 15 minutes.

Drop by heaping T. onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies in the middle of a preheated 350F oven for 8-10 minutes or until they are puffed, shiny and cracked on top. (They will be flat, not resembling mountains. The name is a joke.) Let cookies cool on baking sheets, transfer to racks to completely cool. Makes about 3 dozen or so, depending on the size
you make.

Oh, these are TDF! Here are frosting ideas...

Before baking the cookies, make an indentation with in each cookie with your thumb instead of flattening with a fork. Allow cookies to cool completely before frosting.

Icing:
2 Tbs butter, melted (no substitutes!)
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp flavored extract (I've used almond and lemon)
2 Tbs half-and-half

The icing will be soft and creamy... spoon some into the indentation in each cookie and allow to set up completely. Icing will have a nice glazed look when cool.

The lemon is my favorite. I usually add a bit of food color depending on the flavor I use. I'll bet orange or vanilla bean would be good too, but you don't want to overpower the cookies!

Friday

Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies

Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies

1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup butter flavor Crisco
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chocolate chips

Cream margarine and Crisco until smooth.

Gradually blend in both sugars and salt.

Work in flour, a little at a time, until thoroughly blended. Batter will be very stiff. Gently blend in chocolate chips.

Grease a 15"x10" cookie sheet. With greased hands, spread dough evenly to fill cookie sheet, and work into a uniform thickness.

Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

Cut with a pizza cutter while still warm, and have some cold milk on hand. Enjoy!

I love these- Italian Fig Cookies

Italian Fig Cookies Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 8 hours 45 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 dozen
User Rating:

Filling:
2 cups dried figs, hard tips discarded
1 1/2 cups dried dates, pitted
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup whole almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup whole walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brandy
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
For Dough:
4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
Colored sprinkles, for decorating

To make the filling, in a food processor, combine the figs, dates and raisins and process to finely chop. Place the mixture in a medium bowl, add remaining filling ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
To make the dough, in a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine. Add the butter and blend with your fingertips until most of mixture resembles coarse meal.

In a medium bowl, beat the egg, milk and vanilla together. Add to the dry mixture and stir to make a rough dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cut the dough into 4 pieces, cover, and refrigerate for 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.

On a lightly floured surface, one at a time, roll out each piece of dough into a 12-inch square. Cut the dough into 4 by 3-inch rectangles. Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling down the center of each rectangle. Fold the long sides of each rectangle inward to the center to enclose the filling; pinch the edges to seal. Turn the cookies seam-sides down and press gently to flatten the seams. With a floured knife, cut the logs crosswise into 1 1/2-inch-wide slices and arrange 1/2-inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Brush with egg wash and decorate with colored sprinkles. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Transfer to wire racks to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I call these butter cookies "Popcorn cookies" because you can't eat just one and they are delicious.

This is a recipe given to me 20 years ago by a friend, after whom I named these cookies. For the purpose of the forum, I will call them:

Butter Jellies

Makes 60 to 80 cookies, depending on how large you make the balls.

1 C. granulated sugar
3 C. all purpose flour
1 1/2 C. butter (make sure this is real butter, not whipped or margerine. Salted butter is OK to use.)
2 egg yolks
1 pinch salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
guava jelly or current jelly

Cream butter and sugar together. Add yolks, vanilla, salt and flour. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Chill. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper. Pull off small pieces of the dough and roll into small balls, about the size of an acorn, large marble, or largish grape. Place balls about 1" apart on the paper. Make an indentation in the center of each ball with your finger tip and add a small (1/8 tsp.) of jelly to the indent. Bake at 250°F for 30 minutes or until light brown around the edges. Remove cookies to rack to cool.

A festive, very pretty and tasty cookie for Christmas: Christmas Wreaths

Excuse the double post. I clicked something inadvertantly. I could not figure out how to delete the entire thing. Sorry.

A festive, very pretty and tasty cookie for Christmas: Christmas Wreaths

Christmas Wreaths

makes about 5 dozen

1 C. soft butter
1 C. confectioners sugar
Grated rind of 1 lemon
1/4 C. dark Jamaican rum
3 hard-cooked egg yolks, mashed to a paste (I normally separate 3 raw eggs, dropping the yolks into a pan of tepid water. I bring the water to a boil very gently and cook until done. I keep the raw whites for another use.)
2 1/4 C. all purpose flour (do not use instant flour)
1/2 tsp salt
Small "red hots" cinnamon candies
green candied cherries cut into slivers
1 egg white (left-over from one of the yolks)
1 T. water

Cream butter and sugar. Add lemon rind, rum and egg yolks. Mix well. Mix flour and salt and add to the butter mixture. Blend with hands. Chill dough until firm enough to handle. Break off one small piece at a time, about a heaping teaspoonful, and roll into a pencil about 6" long. Shape into a circle. Put circles 2" apart on cookie sheets. Pinch ends together and press 2 or 3 red hots into the dough at the joining to form a cluster of holly berries. Make tiny dimond shape pieces of green candied cherries and press around the candies to represent leaves. Brush cookies with egg white, slightly beaten with the water. You can also sprinkle the glazed surface with red or green sugar. Bake cookies in 375°F oven until done, 8-10 minutes until just starting to brown around the edges. Remove from cookie sheet at once.

These are very tender, like flaky shortbread, not too sweet, with a nice flavor. Recipe is from 1966 Woman's Day.

REC: Rum-And-Raisin Cookies

These are my favorites - soooo good! (Probably better to start out with more rum and raisins than called for, because you'll need to keep checking to see if the raisins are done soaking ...hic!) ;O)

Rum-And-Raisin Cookies
Canadian Living

These are melt-in-your-mouth shortbreads studded with “spirited” raisins.

½ c raisins
¼ c dark rum
1 c butter
½ c sifted icing sugar
2 c all purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder

In small saucepan, combine raisins and rum. Bring to boil, remove from heat and let stand for about 1 hour; drain.

Cream together butter and sugar. Combine flour, salt and baking powder; gradually blend into creamed mixture. Stir in raisins. Press into ball. If dough is soft, chill until firm enough to roll.

Roll out to ¼” thickness on lightly floured board. Cut with round cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake in 325°F oven for about 15 minutes or until set and lightly browned.

Makes about 36.

REC: Princess Gems

This is a cookie from my childhood. My mother always made these at Xmas time. You can pick up ammonium carbonate from your pharmacy. These are really light and melt in your mouth. I am going to make these for Xmas as a surprise for my sister. Shhhhhhhhhhh.

* Exported from MasterCook *

PRINCESS GEMS

Recipe By : Annie Forsberg
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 cup shortening (1/2 Crisco, 1/2 margarine, but I would use butter)
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ammonium carbonate -- finely ground
2 cups flour
1 cup Angel Flake coconut (in cans) -- packed
powdered sugar

Make in balls. Space apart a good distance. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar when cookies have cooled. Makes 36 cookies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ISO I think they call them Russian Tea Cakes, but more like a

like a cookie, well definately a cookie. I am looking for a buttery fall-apart-in-your-mouth recipe for these. Ones I have made in the past are kind of hard and not very good.

They are about an inch in diameter, and may contain walnuts, usually covered in powdered sugar, but they don't have to be ;o)

Thanks!

A truly WONDERFUL Gingerbread Cookie recipe inside. (m)

This came from Teresa Parker. She posted it on Gail's Swap very early on. Here is my version:

GINGERBREAD COOKIES

I have tried others, including some very well respected recipes from popular cookbooks, and I always come back to these! They are wonderfully spicy, with just the right amount of sweetness, not too much molasses, and they are not dry. They're the Christmas standard for me now... no more contenders!

The only drawback to this recipe is that the dough can be hard to work with. I let it come practically to room temperature before rolling it out, and I keep the rolling pin lightly floured so it doesn't stick. You can make the dough in advance and freeze it, or just form it into a log and wrap in plastic wrap to store in the fridge for a few days before baking.

The length of time they should be baked will depend on the type and color of cookie sheet you use and whether or not you want soft or crunchy cookies. One thing to watch for is that one or two minutes in the oven either way will give you either a soft or hard cookie. It can be a bit tricky to find the right timing, but definitely worth it. Tip: Make sure you use fresh spices, especially the ground ginger. Also, I bake these on ungreased parchment paper. They slide right off.

5 1/2 cups *SIFTED* all purpose flour
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup molasses (I use Grandma's Original)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Sift flour, baking soda, salt and spices onto waxed paper. Beat vegetable shortening w/sugar until fluffy light; beat in molasses, egg and vanilla.

Stir in flour mixture a third at a time, blending well after each addition, to make a soft dough. Wrap in foil and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or overnight.

When ready to make the cookies, roll out 1/4 of the dough at a time to a 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 8 minutes or until cookies are firm, but not too dark. Remove to wire racks with a spatula to cool. Decorate with frosting and allow frosting to harden before storing.

Makes about 6 doz. 3 inch cookies.

We hope you enjoy these as much as we do!

Michael

REC: Cranzer Torte Bars

Cranzer Torte Bars
from Canadian Living

Adapted from traditional Linzer Torte recipes, this one incorporates cranberry sauce and orange rind.

Base:

2 c all purpose flour
1 c almonds, ground
¾ c cold butter, cut in cubes
1/3 c granulated sugar
1 egg

Topping:

1 c whole berry cranberry sauce
½ c raspberry jam
1 tsp orange rind, grated

Base: In food processor, process flour, almonds, butter and sugar until mixture is crumbly. Beat egg slightly with fork; set aside 1 tablespoon of egg, covered.

Add remaining egg to flour mixture in processor; process until mixture starts to form ball. Gather together. Press 2/3 of the mixture into
11 x 7” baking dish. Prick all over. Bake in 350°F for 10 minutes.

Topping: In bowl, mix together cranberry sauce, raspberry jam and orange rind. Spoon over base, spreading evenly to within ¼” of edge.

Roll remaining dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 1/8” thickness. Cut into strips ¼” wide. Crisscross strips over jam layer; brush with remaining egg mixed with 1 teaspoon water. Return to 350°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Let cool. Cut into bars. (Bars can be stored in pan, covered with foil or plastic wrap, in refrigerator for up to 1 week.)

Makes about 40 bars.

Back