RECIPE: REC: Shrimp and Chicken Au Gratin...another Christmas Eve recipe>>>

RECIPE:

susie-in-co

from the Grand Rapids, MI Junior League cookbook.

Shrimp and Chicken Au Gratin

Yield: 6 Servings

3/4 cup milk

1/4 cup flour

½ teaspoon white pepper

½ cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

2/3 cup Champagne or white wine

1/4 cup (½ stick) butter

8 ounces mushrooms, sliced

2 tablespoons minced shallots

2 tablespoons butter

½ cup fresh plain bread crumbs

4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped

1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked

2 (10-ounce) packages frozen artichoke hearts, cooked, drained and quartered

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

Whisk together the milk, flour and white pepper in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in ½ cup cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Stir in the Champagne. Cover and keep warm.

Preheat the oven to 375° F. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots and sauté for 5 minutes or until the shallots are tender. Remove from the heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook until lightly toasted, stirring frequently.

Combine the cheese sauce, mushroom mixture, chicken, shrimp, artichokes and 2 cups cheese in a large bowl. Spoon into a buttered 2-quart baking dish. Top with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling around the edges. Serve hot.

Source: Grand Temptations from the Junior League of Grand Rapids, MI

My notes: I only had jarred artichoke hearts and they worked fine in this recipe. I also had some white cheddar that I combined with the sharp. I also used fresh parsley for garnish.

Back