RECIPE: RECIPE: Golden Oats Medley (instead of rice, noodles or grains.)

RECIPE:

olga_d_ont

GOLDEN OATS MEDLEY (instead of rice, noodles or other grains)

Wholegrain oats for dinner? They’re delicious! Every grain is firm and separate and naturally full of flavour. They’re fluffier than rice and higher in protein, too.

You can serve Golden Oats as a side dish seasoned with herbs or your favourite vegetables. Or serve them plain under stews, stroganoff in casseroles or other saucy meat dishes. Add chopped parsley for colour and flavour or season as you like. Use wherever you’d ordinarily use rice, noodles or potatoes.

Golden Oats are quicker to make than rice. The secret is mixing a little egg to form a seal around every grain. The egg will allow the grains to dry and separate until they’re big, round and delicately brown.

Try it out for yourself, it’s so easy and really good for your colon and your heart and I think your children will love it as much as I do. I like to use the large flaked oatmeal but you can use any kind you like. Type of oats to use either Old Fashioned, Quick or One Minute. For the recipe below I like to fry up some onions too.

1 1/2 cups Quaker Oats, uncooked

1 egg, beaten

3 Tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

1/2 cup chopped green pepper

3/4 cup chicken or beef broth*

1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine uncooked oats and beaten egg in medium sized bowl; mix until oats are thoroughly coated. Saute green pepper in butter in large skillet. Add oat mixture to green pepper mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly 1 to 2 minutes, or until oats are dry, separated and lightly browned. Add broth and salt; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates. Makes 4 servings.

VARIATIONS USING THE BASIC “Golden Oats Medley” recipe above.

*FOR GOLDEN OATS ORIENTAL: Substitute 3/4 cup water and 2 Tablespoons soy sauce for broth.

FOR GOLDEN OATS PILAF: Substitute 3/4 cup mushroom slices and 2 Tablespoons chopped green onion or chives for green pepper.

FOR GOLDEN OATS FLORENTIN: Substitute 1 cup chopped spinach or broccoli for green pepper.

FOR GOLDEN OATS ROMA: Substitute 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini and 1 garlic clove, minced for green pepper.

FOR GOLDEN OATS LORRAINE: Add 2 crisply cooked bacon slices, crumbled.

FOR GOLDEN OATS PROVENCAL: Add 1 medium sized tomato, chopped.

FOR GOLDEN OATS WITH HERBS: ADD 2 Tablespoons parsley flakes, 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves, 1/2 teaspoon basil leaves.

The Quaker Oats..Wholegrain Cookbook

My goodness, I remember "Golden Oats"!! Many years ago I had a cookbook from some cereal company >>

which featured "golden oats". They really were delicious. I'll have to try this.

Can't wait to try this! You say I can use any oat. Does that include Irish steel cut oats?..(more)

Have you ever tried the chunkier steel cut? Also, in case anyone is interested; I thought I'd see if the TV adds were really correct about lowering cholesterol. I started eating the "Heart Smart" and "Weight control" Quaker instant oatmeals for breakfast (4-5 times a week) about 1-1/2 months ago. I had a complete physical two weeks ago...and my cholesterol had dropped 34 points in that short a time!!! I'm just 2 points shy of normal range limit now! Wow.

Why didn't we think of this?! This is perfect for diabetics that now watch their useless carbs. thx

Wow, great kpinky! I usually don't like the texture of the coarser oatmeal, but...

with all of these additives/suggestions, I may try it again. (groan) I know it's better for me than my convenient packet of maple-sugar instant oatmeal!

Hi kpinky - I don't think you would get a good result using Irish steel cut oats

there is not enough liquid and cooking time to make them tender enough to eat prepared this way.

Congrats on your cholesterol lowering!

Ok, I Hate oatmeal!!! This, however, is fabulous!!

I made this tonight and served it as a test side dish with rack of lamb, homemade potato waffle chips with fresh garlic and brocolli with lemon. This will be a regular side dish especially with my diabetes. My partner eats oatmeal for breakfast almost every day, so of course, he love this, but, thank god he ate most of the potato chips too. (One of those people who can eat anything and everything and not gain an ounce). Thank you, Olga!

Pinky, does this fill you up? (m)

I have high cholesterol but can't take statins...they destroy my muscles. I had to eat baby oatmeal til I was 14 years old so I gag on it now.

I've seen the comercials but never believed the hype til I say your email. Why should I beleive you and not the TV ads? Why the hell should you lie? smileys/smile.gif Have you tried the reduced sugar cereal?

Used green pepper, onion and beef broth. We could start

a new flavor thread to add to Olga's.

Pine nuts and parmeasan cheese.

Sage, chopped apple and pecans.

Good idea. Let's do that. Probably better in the Tried and True section as we'll never find them

here once the page has been archived.

By the way, if you are interested in the nutritional value of oats for your partner, I took the usggestion of Barb in VA yesterday and ground some rolled oats in the food processor, to make a cranberry loaf. It becomes a very interesting texture and so much more nutritional than white flour.

Back