Recipes: Grilled Chicken Thighs with Coriander-Cumin Marinade (I used skinless) & Fragrant Rice

richard-in-cincy

My notes:

This was very tasty and smelled just as good! I used skinless thighs & drumsticks. The marinade was just enough to coat the 3.07 lbs.

I cooked it on my double-burner nonstick ribbed grill pan. It took an hour and twenty minutes to cook thoroughly, but it’s always a nice treat to fill the grill pan. I prefer skinless, boneless thighs that would take less time, but couldn’t get them the other day.

I wonder if Cleopatra and Antony enjoyed this BBQ chicken? Is that why Antony returned to Cleo and left his men to fend for themselves?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Grilled Chicken Thighs with Coriander-Cumin Marinade

Garlic, coriander, and cumin lend character to this Egyptian marinade, which is ideal for the dark meat of chicken. Chicken thighs can be grilled or broiled either on the bone, or boneless. For grilling over charcoal, I find meat on the bone comes out more moist and tasty but boneless thighs are delicious in the broiler or on a stovetop grill. Grilled eggplant slices, rice pilaf sprinkled with toasted pine nuts, and a salad of diced tomato, cucumber, and green onion are my favorite accompaniments for this chicken. See photograph.

3 to 3-1/2 pounds chicken legs and thighs

¼ cup olive oil

2 tablespoons grated onion

2 teaspoons ground coriander

2 teaspoons ground cumin

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

¼ teaspoon salt

Put chicken on a plate. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour evenly over both sides of chicken. Rub spice mixture into chicken. Let stand at room temperature while heating coals or refrigerate up to 2 hours.

Set chicken on rack about 5 to 6 inches above glowing coals. Cover and grill about 15 to 18 minutes per side for thighs, or 18 to 22 minutes per side for legs with thighs attached, or until thickest part of meat near bone is no longer pink when cut. Serve immediately.

Makes 5 or 6 servings

Faye Levy’s International Chicken Cookbook

Warner Books

- - - -

My note:

I used basmati for the following recipe.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fragrant Rice

When boiling rice, add ½-in cinnamon stick and ¼ bay leaf, together with 1 cardamom and 1 clove per 1-2 cups. Remove the spices before serving.

The Great Curries of India

by Camellia Panjabi

Simon & Schuster

http://ce.eng.usf.edu/pharos/alexandria/History/cleo.html

Back