Richard in Cincy's Austrian Potato Salad

cynupstateny

8 lbs small waxy red potatoes

Scrub the potatoes. Bake the potatoes (unpeeled) until just done. If you bake longer you will end up with mashed potato salad when you mix, which is not a bad thing. (I bake them on the grill sometimes for an absolutely incredible treat). I don't peel the potatoes, but if you don't like the peel, you can do that here. Cut into cubes and place in a large ceramic serving bowl.

Dressing:

1 lb. bacon, cut into dice
4 large onions, chopped
4 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup (more or less) flour
1/2 stick butter
2 tbsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. tarragon
12 oz. strong chicken broth
12 oz. dark beer
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
4-5 tbsp. tarragon vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped

Fry bacon slowly to render fat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and fry onion in bacon fat until just starting to brown. Remove onion. Add butter to skillet and melt. Add sugar, melt, and cook briefly to slightly caramelize the sugar. Add flour, stir and make a roux, do not let this brown too much. Add spices, stir. Add chicken (I sometimes use beef) broth, the beer, and vinegar. Stir the dressing until it thickens, if it's too thick, stir in more beer, if just right, drink the remaining beer and don't waste it. Stir the onions and 3/4 of the bacon into the dressing with the lemon juice. Pour the hot dressing over the hot potatoes. Throw a couple handfuls of fresh chopped parsley on top. Mix carefully.

Garnish with more parsley and the remaining bacon.
Serve right away, or at room temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back