rvb's Flank Steak

dawn_mo

2 pounds flank steak
red wine or balsamic vinegar
good quality lunch meat- prosciutto
cheese- ricotta, mozzarella , blue

pound your flank steak till it's as thin as you have the stamina for. at this point (assuming you've started ahead of time) you might wish to marinate the steak in red wine - maybe you're feeling piquant and might want to add a touch of balsamic vinegar. don't marinate before pounding unless you want a steak fulla holes. layer some GOOD lunch meat on top. if i'm flush, i use prosciutto (i think that domestic is fine - the subtlety of parma would prolly be wasted) and genoa. go to your deli at a slow time and sweet talk them into slicing as thinly as possible. it's worth the time. slosh some cheese on top. the recipe i started with (who knows where or i'd give credit where it is most duly due) called for ricotta. i think. i've used fresh mozzarella. next time i try it i'm gonna use bleu. i'll spring for stilton. roll and tie it. roast, using timing for total of steak and lunchmeat. baste with oil occasionally. if you can find a grill (preferably covered), do so. if you can scare up some flavored wood chips, it'll be even better. if you marinate the steak, bring the marinade to a boil, skim off the sludge and add some sour cream to top off. i've added minced sundried tomatoes at this point and didn't regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back