2 2”-thick chops cut from boneless pork loin

3 tbs olive oil

apple cider

1 cup fresh cranberries

3 tbs balsamic vinegar

2” stick cinnamon

salt to taste

Preparation:

Sear the pork in the olive oil in a sauté pan over high heat until nicely browned. Remove the pork, add a bit of cider, return to boil and stir like crazy, being sure to incorporate the brown bits.

Add the cranberries, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon and enough cider to come about 3/4 of the way up the chops* Bring to a simmer, cover the pan and braise for 41 minutes, turning the chops every 9 minutes and 17 seconds. Be preheating the oven to 350 degrees toward the end. Remove the cinnamon, place the pork in a baking pan in the oven, puree the rest in a blender and reduce the liquid until thick. Serve over bulgur or couscous surrounded with sautéed apples. Pour the reduced liquid over all.

Notes:

*I have a 2 qt sauté pan and the pork didn’t nearly fill it. If I’da done 3 chops I’da just covered the chops. Next time I do this, I plan to cook for 8. That way I’ll hafta go buy a 6 qt AllClad sauté pan. (the things one must do for the art…)

I’ve never been too happy with braised pork loin until I did this recipe. I think it has a lot to do with the breeding of pork to be low fat, but unlike beef that gets more tender with extended braising, pork loin just gets tough. The answer came with Michael in Phoenix’s technique with his carnitas. The time in the oven without liquid did the trick.

About the cinnamon: my sister taught me the secret of using cinnamon with meat. If you can say, “ooh cinnamon.”, you’ve used too much. What you want is, “There’s something in there I can’t figure out but it’s sure good.”

About the cranberries: I didn’t wanna use sauce cause I just don’t much like refined sugar with meat. After checking out posts by Karen in Boston, Dru in MD (hi Dru) and Sandra/SF; I finally decided to avoid the whole problem of mushy cranberries by pureeing them. Especially since I wanted the taste IN the meat, not on top of it.

About the vinegar: I was torn between using balsamic vinegar (which turned out fine) and my blackberry vinegar (which would also have been fine). I wanted to post this with ingredients that were gonna be easy to find, so i opted for the balsamic. I've tried storebought fruit vinegars and frankly I find them to be cra(backspace) (backspace)(backspace) not of my liking.

If I lived on the same block as Charlie, I woulda knocked on his door and asked (politely) if I could borrow a halfa cuppa calvados. When I do this again, I’ll prolly add some with the cider.

Back